Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Whats this Setup Worth ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Ryanmcgrim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Whats this Setup Worth ?

Well i am new to home brewing but have certainly caught the bug after my first AG batch. A Friend of a Friend is looking to get rid of his Brew System quickly, and has asked me to make an offer. Point is I dont have the slightest idea what its worth, and similar systems online vary immensely

The System:

48 Gallon (1 1/2 bbl)
Includes: mash tun, hot liquor tank, and boiling vessel all made out of stainless steel and outfitted with 0.5" stainless steel ball valves.

The heaters are 4 KW 30 amp 240V single phase each with independent thermostats (3 of them).

A Schmidling Malt Mill.

Two sanitizable, magnetic impeller driven pumps

a stainless steel 30-plate heat exchanger

Pictures can be found here:

Brewery pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

This would

and various braided PVC tubing.

What other items will I need, I have access to 55 gallon sealable drums which were used to ship apple juice, would a set up like this work. Also I see no mention of cooling, any ideas?

Overall what would be a good deal for this system, IE whats my first offer??

Thanks

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think the bigger question is, "Do you need to brew that much beer?". I think $500-$750 would be a really fair offer...but you never know what he is expecting to get.

Truth is, for that kinda money, you could easily put together a nice setup that you wouldn't have to climb inside to clean. I think there's something to be said for buying AG stuff a little at a time so if you change your mind about what equipment is worthwhile, you haven't already committed yourself. Later on down the line, you might decide the plate chiller is a PITA. Also, consider doing a 5 gallon batch on that kettle. It'd barely fill that thing! Plus, you might not want your wort directly in contact with the element.

Do you have access to 220?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

I honestly don't have a good answer for you......but it's definitely worth a couple to a few hundred dollars.

Damn. That's a hell of a "Starter kit"

But ScubaSteve is correct. For that money you could really have a nice brewery and have exactly what you want.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Probably at least $500. If you are just getting into AG, this seems like a huge plunge. For me, half the fun is planning future beers AND what future equipment I want to get. This would take some of that fun away. Plus, you have less control over designing your system.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Out of curiousity, is the "friend of a friend" expecting a child soon?

- CStone

Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With 8KW to boil 48 gallons how many hours / days is that going to take with only 26,000 BTU's to heat if ever without any insulation? That thing looks like a good idea that went bad from the start. I would pass and build what you want as posted above and use your money wisely.
Only value I see is the grain mill, that maybe is not what you want either. Pump another question, looks like a piston or diaphragm vs a magnetic drive, plate chiller sell it someone might be looking for one but look what comes with it, everything. As for everything else good luck in finding a high gallon brewer like he is. I say pass on the whole thing.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
eccsynd
control freak
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dang, that's a big coffee can.

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Ryanmcgrim
Recipes 

I am not sure if he is expecting a child soon, although it is certainly possible.

I would primarily be doing my smaller batches on my 5 gal setup, but am very interested in possibly supplying beer (assuming I can get a few perfected) to a couple local pubs, as permitting is cheap, and I currently am in a Zoning Free Area. So size wise this would be something I am interested in. From what I gather from you folks you are saying that somewhere around 600-900 would be reasonable. I found out through word of mouth that he countered another offer with the figure of 1700. Does this sound very high. How much would a system like his cost to build roughly. I was expecting the value of each of the stainless drums to be worth 500-600, am I way off?

Brewery pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #9
Ryanmcgrim
Recipes 

Brew Beemer, Thanks for the input,

From what I gether you are saying that the heating element would not have enough power to bring to boil in a reasonable time? I'm not following you on the plate cooler, are you saying that it is the only thing of value out of the set up? From what I understand the two pumps are magnetic. Is using 55 gallon stainless steel drums not a good idea. I cant seem to find 55 gallon stainless for anything less than 500 a piece. What would the alternative be? If I was building my own from scratch (I do not know how to weld) what would you folks do differently from this setup? Assumong you were looking for a 1 1/2 bbl setup .

Many thanks for the fast responses Guys, this is great .

Ryan

Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

"make me an offer" sounds kind of sketchy. I'd low ball him with $500. If he wants $1700, lol

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Quick Reply