Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What's the longest you would let Bleach/Water sit in a Plastic Mash Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default What's the longest you would let Bleach/Water sit in a Plastic Mash Tun?

Just went downstairs to get my Funnel which is stored in my Plastic Coleman Extreme Mash Tun. When I opened the lid, I was Horrified. In the bottom, after my last Brew session, I must not have cleaned well enough as I now have some Mold issues on the bottom of my Mash Tun. Needless to say, I am in the process of tearing it apart and cleaning. I want to soak the inside of the cooler and the Copper Lautering Manifold in a strong Bleach/Water Solution. Think an hour is to long for a Plastic Cooler to be subjected to that?

On DeckWitches Brew IPA
Primary Bee Cave Kolsch, Simcoe Sevada
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Bee Cave Kolsch
On Tap Bee Cave Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't worry I and many others have had this happen. If you do the bleach for an hour and then rinse well and then soak/scrub with PBW and rinse well and then some Starsan then your mashtun will be as nice as it was before the mold. It only happens when we get in a hurry and forget to clean it. It is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Always air it out with it open so it drys out. Store with the lid open a bit.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bleach in a plastic cooler is no problem after all beach comes in a plastic bottle. If you have any metal such a Stainless steel soaking in chlorine bleach isn't recommended. If everything is clean then 5 minutes is all you need.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with the above comments. I would not leave bleach-water on metal parts for very long. I store my fermentors, PET and glass, in bleach-water. 2 oz / 5 gal. I have 7 fermentors so it can be many months. The mild bleach solution cleans the surface deposits off. No scrubbing required. I rinse them like crazy and check for a bleach smell. If I find it to smell I keep rinsing. Inside & Out. - I'll do both since I don't know the source of the smell.

Anything you mash you are going to boil the hell out of so I would not be overly worried. I'd just try to clean it well and let it air dry. Store the cooler cracked open. You can also ball up a piece newspaper as it will suck any moisture vapor leftover once you close it up.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply