The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What's the longest you would let Bleach/Water sit in a Plastic Mash Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default What's the longest you would let Bleach/Water sit in a Plastic Mash Tun?

Just went downstairs to get my Funnel which is stored in my Plastic Coleman Extreme Mash Tun. When I opened the lid, I was Horrified. In the bottom, after my last Brew session, I must not have cleaned well enough as I now have some Mold issues on the bottom of my Mash Tun. Needless to say, I am in the process of tearing it apart and cleaning. I want to soak the inside of the cooler and the Copper Lautering Manifold in a strong Bleach/Water Solution. Think an hour is to long for a Plastic Cooler to be subjected to that?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't worry I and many others have had this happen. If you do the bleach for an hour and then rinse well and then soak/scrub with PBW and rinse well and then some Starsan then your mashtun will be as nice as it was before the mold. It only happens when we get in a hurry and forget to clean it. It is the perfect breeding ground for mold. Always air it out with it open so it drys out. Store with the lid open a bit.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bleach in a plastic cooler is no problem after all beach comes in a plastic bottle. If you have any metal such a Stainless steel soaking in chlorine bleach isn't recommended. If everything is clean then 5 minutes is all you need.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree with the above comments. I would not leave bleach-water on metal parts for very long. I store my fermentors, PET and glass, in bleach-water. 2 oz / 5 gal. I have 7 fermentors so it can be many months. The mild bleach solution cleans the surface deposits off. No scrubbing required. I rinse them like crazy and check for a bleach smell. If I find it to smell I keep rinsing. Inside & Out. - I'll do both since I don't know the source of the smell.

Anything you mash you are going to boil the hell out of so I would not be overly worried. I'd just try to clean it well and let it air dry. Store the cooler cracked open. You can also ball up a piece newspaper as it will suck any moisture vapor leftover once you close it up.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 07-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply