Whats the best Temperature controller for fermentation temp controlling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm going to use a mini-fridge and build it into a fermentation chamber. We've spent so much money on brewing gear, it seems kind of rediculous not to spend another 100 bucks to control our fermentation temps. That being said, I've seen people using Ranco and Johnson controllers. Obviously I'll need a two stage controller to turn the fridge and fans on and off as well as the heating pad. What are your suggestions? Is it just a matter of preference or is one superior to the other?

I just posted in your wanted thread as well....

but I am in your situation as well. I need cooling in the summer and for lagering, but need heating for my ales in winter.

I will be getting this:

Dwyer Instruments - Series TSS2

I will be getting the TSS2-2100

TSS2_PIC.jpg

and the TS-5

TS-5_pic.jpg

do you use both a heater and a refrigerator to control your temps?

Nope, just a fridge. Lowest my basement ever gets in the dead of winter is 58-60 and tops off at 70-72 during the hottest parts of August. Inside my fermentation cabinet, I can hit perfect ale ferm temps all year long with controlling refrigeration.

As the days got colder, I just swapped out my single stage Johnson for dual. Works great, but if you want something pre-wired your choices are pretty much limited to the Ranco two stage. I was thinking of going to a Love controller, but the pre-wired Ranco is super easy - just plug and go. In the meantime, I found that the digital Johnson and Ranco are almost interchangable. Best price I found was here:

Ranco ETC-211000-000: 2 Stage Prewired Temperature Controller - The

Gordie.

I like the way John Beere wired his temp-control to override the fridges thermostat such that all the other features of the fridge worked normally (i.e., the defrost cycle, lights, etc.) That is what I will be doing with the Love.

They would not be ON at the same time, but for $20 extra dollars you get a single controller patched into your fridge such that the defrost cycle and all other features of the fridge work and you can have a heating element in there. This way, to set any temp, you just hit a couple arrows and the chamber does the rest. If it needs heat, it activates the heating element, if it needs cooling, it powers the fridge.

You could do it other ways, visa vi, have an outlet in the fridge and switch modes/plug in a heater or some other solution. This is just easier, cleaner, and more professional looking and feeling IMHO.

They would not be ON at the same time, but for $20 extra dollars you get a single controller patched into your fridge such that the defrost cycle and all other features of the fridge work and you can have a heating element in there. This way, to set any temp, you just hit a couple arrows and the chamber does the rest. If it needs heat, it activates the heating element, if it needs cooling, it powers the fridge.

You could do it other ways, visa vi, have an outlet in the fridge and switch modes/plug in a heater or some other solution. This is just easier, cleaner, and more professional looking and feeling IMHO.

Exactly what I'm doing... That is how we setup our climatics chambers at work. We use heating coils along with liquid nitrogen solenoid valves to control temperatures. It is the most effective way to control a set temperature, and will also give you the capability to ramp temperatures up and down if needed with a simple controller. Since we might be getting rid of our old controllers, I'm the first on the list to get 2 of them... One for a single tier brew stand, and one for a fermentation chamber.

Although not available for another few weeks, the BCS-460 is actually a six-stage temperature controller. Plus you get the added benefit of temperature logging. Although not documented yet, a new feature that was suggested during beta testing allows you to do temperature ramps over a set period of time. Program in the start temp, end temp, and time to get there and the controller does the rest. Details in my sig

I guess ultimately I question the necessity of having temperature controlled to that degree of precision in a homebrewing environment.

I may consider upgrading to a digital two-stage controller at some point, but I don't see it as a necessary upgrade to my set-up and process at this time.

By all means, though- go for it if you can score the controls from work!

Ahh, just seems odd to me still. Times would be rare, at least around here, where you'd need to heat and then cool and then heat. I mean... winter you'd need to heat, and summer you'd need to cool, but not both.

Maybe I'm just dense- but I'm having trouble understanding the advantages that a dual-stage controller offers over a single-stage for most homebrewing applications.

In my set-up using a single stage controller, I can get down to lagering temperatures (though I don't make lagers) and adjust my temps using the chamber for normal ale fermentation as well.

Obviously, local temperatures and conditions will determine the efficacy of one process and controller vs. another.

If you're basement where you're fermentation freezer sits, gets down to 55F in the winter, you need to use heat to ferment ales.

I live in Wisconsin... in an old house....

In the summer, my basement temperature is about 65-70º, in the winter it is as low at 45º if it is really cold out. This means in the summer I need cooling for most everything, but that is only for about one month of the year. The rest of the time I will need heating and/or cooling to maintain temps.

For example, it is 50º in my basement, and I want to brew an ale. I type in 63º and the fermentation chamber raises the temp such that my ferment is maintained at 63º. Now the next week, I want to brew a lager. I type in 50º and the chamber cools to that temp. Then I ramp down to lagering temps.

A dual stage allows me to do the above while still having the fridge defrost and have working lights. For me $20 is worth never having to fiddle with anything, change plugs, operating modes, etc.

For example, it is 50º in my basement, and I want to brew an ale. I type in 63º and the fermentation chamber raises the temp such that my ferment is maintained at 63º. Now the next week, I want to brew a lager. I type in 50º and the chamber cools to that temp. Then I ramp down to lagering temps.

Ah, thanks for the explanation- BK. My basement is pretty well insulated, even for such an old house. Even in the depths of winter, I don't ever dip below 58 degrees and 70 is the upper limit during the summer. Cooling makes sense, but I don't need to heat here!

It is a bit overkill... but I will be able to do this whole project for a cool Benjamin and never have to worry about water soaked towels or finding a warm enough spot in the house again... the peace of mind is worth it to me.

thats exactly where I'm coming from. I want perfect control of my temperature, and I won't be able to achieve that without being able to control both heating and cooling. I'm going to try using some pipe heating panels for the heating aspect, since they are pretty cheap and easy to wire into the circuit. good ole mini fridge for the cooling portion...

I'd love to see a build journal on this, might be a project for some time down the road. BK, have you given thought as to how you would heat the chamber?

I'm intrigued now.

Another interesting heater I saw was a flooring panel for heating decks and patios. it runs off 115V, but I'm not sure about the current draw...

I will be using one of these:

phpThumb.php

Maybe not the cheapest but it is very easy and will look good attached to the back wall of the fridge.

I will be posting a build journal. I ripped out the inside of my fridge yesterday. I plan to have this done before the new year.

Cheers

TSS2_PIC.jpg

and the TS-5

TS-5_pic.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just wondering how this guy worked out for you? I am going to order the same one unless you say its a piece of junk..

IMO, any of the controllers will work well for you. I have three of the Johnson anologs and one digital version. It's not well known, but you can use the analog for either heating or cooling. It does require you to remove the cover and change the hot lead on the internal switch to the opposite terminal, but that takes all of 2 minutes to do. The alternate terminal on the double throw internal switch is concealed by a small plastic plug. Remove the plug and you will see the threaded terminal. I normally use the cooling mode except in the dead of winter when the one refrigerator I have in the garage gets too cold. I put a small space heater inside and control it with one of the analog Johnson's. The other refrigerators and freezers are in the heated basement, so they are always in the cooling mode. The digital controllers are the most versatile and convenient and worth the modest additional cost IMO. OTOH, the analogs get the job done quite well.

I got one of these finally, its pretty sweet but does not work in the way I had imagined. It takes a frigin electrician to wire it, which I now consider my self after wiring it:). It is really nice though I guess I would recomend it.

TSS2_PIC.jpg

and the TS-5

TS-5_pic.jpg

Just wondering how this guy worked out for you? I am going to order the same one unless you say its a piece of junk..[/QUOTE]

I'm using a single-stage Ranco. I bought it unwired from Patriot Supply on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANCO-ETC-11100...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c13831b53

It's dead simple to wire up. I can't speak in comparison to the other controllers as I have not wired any up, buy the included documentation was very easy to follow. I just needed an extension cord (cut it in half to get your input and output), some wire nuts, and a grommet to hold it all in place, and I was set for a great price. Even if you're not too comfortable with wiring, this is easy enough for just about anyone to do.

Back