Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What is your opinion on glass carboy vs plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
EZFrag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is your opinion on glass carboy vs plastic?

I'm slowing building my home brewery. I have my pot, burner, 4 kegs. But I need a fermenter. I can't afford a good conical, so I was looking at fermenting in carboys. Since money is a factor, I was wondering what the pros/cons are for a plastic carboy vs a glass one. What do you use and why. Any suggestions on where to get these. Keep in mind, I live in Monroe, LA. No brew stores close that I know of. So shipping will also be a factor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
jrkettle
Recipes 

I have both Better Bottles(plastic) and glass carboys. I prefer the better bottles. They are lighter and you can drop them and they won't shatter. They are usually cheaper then glass carboys and are usually part of free or flat rate shipping that most online homebrew stores offer.

Only con to better bottles that I can think of is that the inside can scratch if you use a brush to clean them. But a quick soak in oxyclean does the job just as well.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

They both ferment beer. The rest is up to you....there's about a million threads discussing it....starting with those in the similar thread box below...and this thread as well http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...alysis-109318/

But really it doesn't matter.....your beer will ferment just fine in either one...and that is really the bottom line.

Just about every argument about either, and every belief is pretty much BS, oxygen permeability, yadda yadda yadda, these days....so there is really nothing left bu preference.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkettle View Post
I have both Better Bottles(plastic) and glass carboys. I prefer the better bottles. They are lighter and you can drop them and they won't shatter. They are usually cheaper then glass carboys and are usually part of free or flat rate shipping that most online homebrew stores offer.

Only con to better bottles that I can think of is that the inside can scratch if you use a brush to clean them. But a quick soak in oxyclean does the job just as well.
Ditto! Better bottles are awesome.

I've had glass carboys in the past. Had a few break and it's very dangerous. I still have some but won't use them.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Retarded_Penguin_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

glass does not hold weird off flavors, nor does it scratch. well worth the little extra for ease of use and peace of mind. check around your area for other brewers and see if you can find somebody getting rid of some stuff. craigslist is awesome.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have 4 sankes (assuming they are not cornies) you can ferment in one of those! They work quite well.

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 592 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I have two of each along with 5 -7.5 gallon buckets.

Honestly I prefer fermenting in the buckets and clearing in the carboy/better bottles.

Buckets are much easier to clean after a rigorous fermentation. Obviously a clear vessel like the carboys (et al) are better for clearing as you can see the progress of your beer.

In answer to your question...I prefer the better bottles because they are so much easier to manage. If you go BB...and elect not to use a larger bucket for primary fermentation...make sure and get the biggest BB they sell.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retarded_Penguin_Brewing View Post
glass does not hold weird off flavors, nor does it scratch. well worth the little extra for ease of use and peace of mind. check around your area for other brewers and see if you can find somebody getting rid of some stuff. craigslist is awesome.
I've done abot 20+ batches in a better bottle now and it has not picked up any smells. I clean them by soaking in a hot water / oxyclean solution. Soak overnight and rinse it out clean the next day. DO NOT use a brush on a better bottle as that will leave scratches. No brush and there is no need to worry about scratches.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4829 Times on 4432 Posts
Likes Given: 59

plastic shatters less when it's dropped.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
JMG680
Recipes 

I am a pro plastic type. Don't shatter when you drop it, easy to move, and cost less. All around Win.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Quick Reply