What is your opinion on glass carboy vs plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
I'm slowing building my home brewery. I have my pot, burner, 4 kegs. But I need a fermenter. I can't afford a good conical, so I was looking at fermenting in carboys. Since money is a factor, I was wondering what the pros/cons are for a plastic carboy vs a glass one. What do you use and why. Any suggestions on where to get these. Keep in mind, I live in Monroe, LA. No brew stores close that I know of. So shipping will also be a factor.

I have both Better Bottles(plastic) and glass carboys. I prefer the better bottles. They are lighter and you can drop them and they won't shatter. They are usually cheaper then glass carboys and are usually part of free or flat rate shipping that most online homebrew stores offer.

Only con to better bottles that I can think of is that the inside can scratch if you use a brush to clean them. But a quick soak in oxyclean does the job just as well.

They both ferment beer. The rest is up to you....there's about a million threads discussing it....starting with those in the similar thread box below...and this thread as well https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

But really it doesn't matter.....your beer will ferment just fine in either one...and that is really the bottom line.

Just about every argument about either, and every belief is pretty much BS, oxygen permeability, yadda yadda yadda, these days....so there is really nothing left bu preference.

I have both Better Bottles(plastic) and glass carboys. I prefer the better bottles. They are lighter and you can drop them and they won't shatter. They are usually cheaper then glass carboys and are usually part of free or flat rate shipping that most online homebrew stores offer.

Only con to better bottles that I can think of is that the inside can scratch if you use a brush to clean them. But a quick soak in oxyclean does the job just as well.

Ditto! Better bottles are awesome.

I've had glass carboys in the past. Had a few break and it's very dangerous. I still have some but won't use them.

glass does not hold weird off flavors, nor does it scratch. well worth the little extra for ease of use and peace of mind. check around your area for other brewers and see if you can find somebody getting rid of some stuff. craigslist is awesome.

If you have 4 sankes (assuming they are not cornies) you can ferment in one of those! They work quite well.

I have two of each along with 5 -7.5 gallon buckets.

Honestly I prefer fermenting in the buckets and clearing in the carboy/better bottles.

Buckets are much easier to clean after a rigorous fermentation. Obviously a clear vessel like the carboys (et al) are better for clearing as you can see the progress of your beer.

In answer to your question...I prefer the better bottles because they are so much easier to manage. If you go BB...and elect not to use a larger bucket for primary fermentation...make sure and get the biggest BB they sell.

glass does not hold weird off flavors, nor does it scratch. well worth the little extra for ease of use and peace of mind. check around your area for other brewers and see if you can find somebody getting rid of some stuff. craigslist is awesome.

I've done abot 20+ batches in a better bottle now and it has not picked up any smells. I clean them by soaking in a hot water / oxyclean solution. Soak overnight and rinse it out clean the next day. DO NOT use a brush on a better bottle as that will leave scratches. No brush and there is no need to worry about scratches.

I have been brewing for about 15 years on and off and have only used glass. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I keep them in square milk crates and have never broken one. With that said, I'm sure I'll break one during the next brew session.

+1 on this. Better Bottles are great for primarys but dont scrub them. Simply rinse well then fill overnite with oxy clean then dump and rinse.

I do prefer glass when using as a secondary.

Cheers:mug:

i like glass because its more durable and unless your using a diamond tipped brush you don't have to worry about scratching it. but glass is heavier and there is the risk of dropage.

Back