New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What are your "can't live without" equipment items?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #101
SpentGrains
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travestian View Post
LMAO!

I suppose I got lucky in the autosiphon department. Mine came with my initial kit order. It is quite handy. Anyone tried the racking tube and filter idea with a carboy hood? It's highlighted here. It seems like it would work well and you don't have to worry about the seal on the autosiphon.
I used a blast of co2 with the carboy hood, works fine but you are limited to carboys.

When my autosiphon goes I will certainly buy another.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #102
JoeBlaze
Recipes 

Since I only brew 10+ gallon batches I would have to say my Therminator. I couldn't imagine babysitting a 15 gallon pot after drinking... I mean brewing all day.

Last edited by JoeBlaze; 06-03-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #103
Travestian

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlaze View Post
Since I only brew 10+ gallon batches I would have to say my Therminator. I couldn't imagine babysitting a 15 gallon pot after drinking... I mean brewing all day.
Nice setup!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #104
corsobianco
Recipes 

Thats a nice setup. I'm brand new to homebrewing so my most important piece is my LBK lol.

I'm trying to find a way to maintain 50-60 degree fermentation in my extremely hot Texas garage. If anybody has any good setups that dont involve buying a refrigerator and don't involve daily rotation of frozen water bottles I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #105
Travestian

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsobianco View Post
Thats a nice setup. I'm brand new to homebrewing so my most important piece is my LBK lol.

I'm trying to find a way to maintain 50-60 degree fermentation in my extremely hot Texas garage. If anybody has any good setups that dont involve buying a refrigerator and don't involve daily rotation of frozen water bottles I'd be very interested in hearing about it.
I'm afraid those are the best options being where you are. The only other option is moving it inside and doing the frozen bottle rotation.

I have a fridge in my garage (Charleston, SC) that I unfortunately can't run due to power considerations. I can't change the breaker for it cause I don't own the place. I took out the bottom drawers and built a shelf. I have a deep freeze right next to it so I freeze 1 gallon milk jugs and throw those under there. I've got a temp controller that turns on and off a computer fan built into the shelf to maintain around 65 degrees. I only have to change out the jugs once a day.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #106
corsobianco
Recipes 

Ill have to figure something out, thanks for the info.

I travel for work so being home daily to change out the ice jugs isn't an option.

My garage is a 2 car garage that has no cars in it, just man cave stuff so I have plenty of room, the problem is I don't have any outlets for the fridge, and its a rental so I cant just go rewiring all willy nilly. I love lagers over ale and unfortunately I can't keep my house 55-60 degrees, but I do keep it at 69-70 so I ferment my ale inside. Just brainstorming a way to keep a tank cold enough in the summer to ferment lager yeast. Was hoping for a nifty DIY trick to make a fridge that can be left alone for a week or so without needing maintence.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #107
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsobianco View Post
Ill have to figure something out, thanks for the info.

I travel for work so being home daily to change out the ice jugs isn't an option.

My garage is a 2 car garage that has no cars in it, just man cave stuff so I have plenty of room, the problem is I don't have any outlets for the fridge, and its a rental so I cant just go rewiring all willy nilly. I love lagers over ale and unfortunately I can't keep my house 55-60 degrees, but I do keep it at 69-70 so I ferment my ale inside. Just brainstorming a way to keep a tank cold enough in the summer to ferment lager yeast. Was hoping for a nifty DIY trick to make a fridge that can be left alone for a week or so without needing maintence.
No outlets period? What about the garage door opener if you have one, or even a standard light socket... and a small mini fridge?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #108
BeerGrylls

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 93

how about a 'real' icebox from maybe craigslist, and contact a local ice house for a large block of ice. That should last a while?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #109
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains View Post
No outlets period? What about the garage door opener if you have one, or even a standard light socket... and a small mini fridge?
Good point. If there is a garage door opener they are usually plugged into an outlet in the rafters. Just get an extension cord and a refrigerator off craigslist.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #110
Travestian

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
Good point. If there is a garage door opener they are usually plugged into an outlet in the rafters. Just get an extension cord and a refrigerator off craigslist.
I second this option. HBT to the rescue!

Quick Reply