Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What is yer BIAB keggle setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default What is yer BIAB keggle setup?

Was thinking valve with a 30' SS braid that snakes around the bottom of the keg. Figured it would filter out some break material if I use an immersion chiller. I've been getting flustered lately trying to put equipment together, especially the burner. Need something elevated (no pump) that won't be a chore to keep fired. Seems like lots of issues with banjo burners. Blinchman with legs worth the money?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm using a ten gallon Blichmann pot with a stainless basket, pretty much the same setup as Seven in her thread here. I've been using an under-powered Bayou burner but after seeing the Blichmann with extensions I ended up ordering one. They are on back order right now though so expect a month or so delay in getting one if you order it.

I put a hook on the eve over my garage and a cleat on the window frame below it. It works perfect for hanging a pulley and lifting the basket out.

For the bag I am using paint strainers but am in the process of making a couple myself. Hopefully I'll get one done before I brew this weekend.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Euphist

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I subscribe to the KISS theory.

I have a commercial 15 gal. pot with spigot that I got off craigslist for $50. My kitchen stove can actually get this sucker with 7.5 gallons in it boiling. I made my own bag to fit said pot. When mash-out is done, my buddy and I lift the bag...hold for a minute or so then set on a kitchen strainer on top of a sanitized brew bucket to finish draining.

It may not be elegant, but it leaves a lot more money for ingredients

I do plan to get a propane burner before summer...the AC would never handle that much excess heat!

Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just converted my bayou 62qt SS kettle to electric with two 2000w elements and a simple control box.

It looks like its wearing a tin foil hat with the insulation... But it works!

image-886194546.jpg  

Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have the Blichmann burner with legs and yes, it was worth the money. It is a great burner. Mine is running NG from a pipe stub outside. This alone has added ease to the brew day.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista
I have the Blichmann burner with legs and yes, it was worth the money. It is a great burner. Mine is running NG from a pipe stub outside. This alone has added ease to the brew day.
So the Blinchman doesn't have the flame to kettle height issue everyone else talks about? Just a valve on the pot/keggle? No filtering the break material?

Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I haven't paid attention to the flame / kettle height. It works for me and works well. NG is cheap so if there's a little efficiency problem, I don't know or care.

The keggle does have a valve and I don't filter the break material. My pickup tube is slightly elevated now and no longer sucking the last drop off the center of the kettle.

I don't brew in a bag, I mash in a bag and use a hop bag also. The wort is clean with the exception of the hot break.

What filter will filter hot break?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, mash in a bag. I don't think anyone brews in a bag, well maybe boiling with a hop bag. I was just wondering if those SS braids would be worth it or just go with a short angled dip tube of some kind. Probably going with an immersion chiller, I guess if I whirlpool the break will stay close enough to the center that I don't need to worry about a braid.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oh and I just got shipment notification on my Blichmann burner and extensions. Looks like they might be catching up sooner than expected. They were saying end of Jan, early Feb.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm tempted. I can buy parts and make a 2 foot stand for about half their price though. Hmmmm. Would it wobble? My garage floor isn't exactly flat.

Quick Reply