Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What type stainless is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What type stainless is it?

I own two really sturdy 27 gallon (100 litre) stainless pots with 6 mm thick bottoms, but I have no idea what grade of stainless they are made from. They are reputed to have had lanolin in them (from the cosmetics industry)

They are both with the ex missus at the moment, and have been used to contain horse feed for about ten years. The horse is bloody ancient now, so the lanolin can't be poisonous. When I get them back in a few months, I will be able to do a magnetic comparison with the known 316 stainless parts that I have to hand, but apart from that, I am stumped. How can I find out what grade of stainless they are made from? and, although they look spotlessly clean, what can I do to ensure that all the lanolin has been eradicated?

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I would heat the pots while upside down so that whatever lanolin remained could drip out - basically bake it in the oven. Then wash it with Oxyclean or some other brewery cleaner.

Brew up a batch of Horseshoe Pale Ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply