Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What type of carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #11
SuperiorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with glass now use the better bottles & a home made 14 gallon plastic for primarys unless I am out then I use glass.

I use better bottles, glass & cornys for secondarys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #12
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The only thing about using a primary with a spigot is that I often times use a water bath to control temperatures and never liked the idea of the spigot being underwater. I use both glass and Better bottles for primary.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #13
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you are careful, you can open the bucket and take a look, but you won't see the trub line that blindlemonlars mentioned.

I use the 7.9gal "wine and beer" buckets for primary fermentation and 6.5 gallon glass carboys for 'secondary fermenters'(conditioning).

The buckets are cheaper for me w/ more capacity. The glass is impermeable to oxygen. Better bottles are much safer, though depending on your area may be hard to find or expensive.

If you are going to primary in a carboy, you should also set yourself up some equipment to thief(BTW, should be added to WIKI) AKA, get a sample to test (usually for specific gravity readings).

IMO, if the valve will hold liquid in, it will hold liquid out(probably more likely due to an equalization of hydrostatic pressure when the bucket is submerged.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:27 AM   #14
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Is Not Enough
IMO, if the valve will hold liquid in, it will hold liquid out(probably more likely due to an equalization of hydrostatic pressure when the bucket is submerged.
I agree. When I use a water bath, I do throw a splash of bleach in there, just because I don't like the idea of untreated water sitting still for weeks.

I'm enjoying the (rare) cool weather here in SoCal, no need for waterbaths or frozen apple juice jugs!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 AM   #15
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a plastic bucket that I probably wont replace, 5.0 and 6.5 gal glass carboys that i am moving away from, and a few corney kegs.

For now I still like the glass so I can see what is going on in there.

With some more experience and more confidence I will be able to do everything in cornelius kegs. 1 standard container FTW!

EDIT: I will keep a bottling bucket around for those special brews that need to be shared and aged...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:55 AM   #16
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
But if watching the yeasties put on a show is important to you then a glass 6.5 gal. or better bottles are probably your best bets
It's been damn near fifteen years, and I still love watching the yeasties' show.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply