Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What type of carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
noobrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What type of carboy

I am fairly new to brewing and I need to purchase more carboys (1 to make apfelwein ). Right now I have 1-8 gal plastic bucket w/ a spigot on the bottom. I like this style (because of the siggot) except I cant see clearly what is happening inside. What does everyone else use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

A few Better Bottles and a few glass carboys. I want to decommission those glass carboys, though.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobrewer
Right now I have 1-8 gal plastic bucket w/ a spigot on the bottom. I like this style (because of the siggot) except I cant see clearly what is happening inside. What does everyone else use?
If you prefer buckets for primary fermentation, those sold by MoreBeer are translucent. You can easily see the churning of fermentation, and the trub line down at the bottom.

Bucket w/spigot

Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
noobrewer
Recipes 

Also, when mounting spigots. How far off the bottom do you put them? I would assume you want the hole drilled above the sediment layer, so how much sediment do you usually have on a 5 gal batch?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have about every kind you can think of except a better bottle. But if I had it to do it all over again from the beginning I would modify a cornie keg by removing the poppet from the gas in post and putting a blow off tube over the post for my primary and just use regular cornie kegs for the secondary.

But if watching the yeasties put on a show is important to you then a glass 6.5 gal. or better bottles are probably your best bets

Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The sediment is going to depend on a number of factors, the type and amount of hops, what if anything you did to contain the hops, any filtering or straining you may or may not do. The crush of your grain bill and even the amount of your grain bill.

IMHO you'd be better of just locating it an inch off the bottom and draining off what ever sediment you get into another bucket then when it runs clear move the racking tube to your secondary.

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-13-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobrewer
I would assume you want the hole drilled above the sediment layer, so how much sediment do you usually have on a 5 gal batch?
It will vary a lot, with different recipes, yeasts and brewing methods & practices. When my last all-grain batch went into the bucket, the trub (mostly cold-break at that point) was above the 1st gallon mark! By the time fermenation was complete, it was compacted down to a 3/4" layer, with just a tiny bit of trub sitting on the spigot itself.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got one glass carboy, many Better Bottles, a plastic bucket and some PET 1 gallon fermenters that used to be apple juice bottles.

I prefer using the bucket because I can pour the wort in and get a healthy froth going, assuring my wort is aerated. This, however, is JUST as much mental as anything else in my experience, since other than my first batch, I have yet to have active fermentation in more than 6 hours.

I use, but avoid my glass carboy simply because it's heavier and I feel less confidant moving it around, especially considering that I seldom move it with totally dry hands.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
El_Borracho
Recipes 

The buckets with the bottom spigot are for bottling. If you use it for primary, then when you go to transfer or bottle you will suck some of that up - or mix it all back up defeating the purpose.

How many carboys do you need? For primary's use 6.5 or larger Better Bottles, for Secondary 5 gal better bottles. I think 1x 6.5gal for every 2x 5gal is a good ratio.

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Old 12-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have both plastic pails and glass carboys. I really like the glass but even though I use a brew hauler I feel somewhat unsafe when forced to move them.

I am defiantly going the better bottle route. I will keep my glass for secondaries and I don't have to move the secondarys.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Quick Reply