Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
bodhi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

A decent fermenter jacket for lagering that would keep your beer at the desired temperature.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #12
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Not had any issue using the one in my keggle, with just finger tight. I'm talking about as tight as you can get by hand, not just snug. I'll check the mash tun one next time to make sure it's not leaving more behind than it should. Don't think it is, but will double check that one.

BTW, -1 on the kettle as a fermenter. IMO, that would get REALLY expensive fast. Plus, you're limited to the number of kettles you can store (for batches)... I have three beer fermenting vessels for my normal batches, plus one more for bigger batches (up to about 12.5 gallons in a 50L keg fermenter). It's far easier to store three tall 1/4 barrel kegs than three keggles.
I dont see why. I have 4x 7.5 gallon ale pales now. All four fit into my fermentation chamber just fine. I brew 10 gallon batches, about every 3-4 weeks. If the fermentor/kettle cost $200 each that's $800.00.

There are people on this board buying 3x 20 gallon kettles all the time: $1000 when you throw in the valves.

Bought over time, thats very possible to do. It's just a 8 gallon pot, a lid and a drum ring clamp. No valve needed. I have already found one, but it is 8 gallon milk can, so the lid is only 8" across, $170.00.

This is something that I would like to have.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossy View Post
You make a good point abut about quickly shutting the valve off. But unscrewing four nuts and bolts with lock washers is not quick. Also all the parts of the valve have to be cleaned. The washers are not heat resistant.
Wait, what?? The items inside the ball valve are able to [easily] withstand boiling temps, and then some. The 3 piece stainless valves have Teflon (PTFE) parts inside.

Also, you take the thing apart AFTER you're done brewing, WHEN it needs to be cleaned completely. I normally just give it a good soak in PBW solution. Squeaky clean that way, with almost zero effort (my keggle ball valve uses a TC connection to the keggle). Otherwise, cleaning is easily done via a beer faucet brush (cheap and easily obtained).

Quote:
I have found that there is nothing in the mechanics of brewing that is hard. It's just a lot of stuff to do. I call it a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I'm just trying to eliminate a few of those paper cuts.
IMO, trying to cut corners can very often result in more issues than not doing so. IMO, trying to brew/boil and then ferment in the exact same vessel is one such case. It's fine IF it's working for you, but there's no way I'll do it. IMO/IME, trying to store 3-4 (or more) 8-15 gallon kettle fermenters is not a wise thing.

Do what you like, but I don't see using the BK as a fermenting vessel, too, as a good idea. Or even a practical thing to do. I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace. Besides, I'd rather have the kegs as dedicated items than try to MM one into trying to do both brew and ferment.

You might think you're avoiding "thousand paper cuts"... Instead, you're playing Russian roulette with your batches. So trading paper for a live chamber...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Hmmmm..... A good tech device to add?
What about an 8 gallon cooler for a fermentation bucket, with heat and cooling in it so you can set your fermentation temp and let it go. Needs to be able to cool to lagering temperatures though.
I've never done a lager, but with one of those I might!

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Wait, what?? The items inside the ball valve are able to [easily] withstand boiling temps, and then some. The 3 piece stainless valves have Teflon (PTFE) parts inside.

Also, you take the thing apart AFTER you're done brewing, WHEN it needs to be cleaned completely. I normally just give it a good soak in PBW solution. Squeaky clean that way, with almost zero effort (my keggle ball valve uses a TC connection to the keggle). Otherwise, cleaning is easily done via a beer faucet brush (cheap and easily obtained).

IMO, trying to cut corners can very often result in more issues than not doing so. IMO, trying to brew/boil and then ferment in the exact same vessel is one such case. It's fine IF it's working for you, but there's no way I'll do it. IMO/IME, trying to store 3-4 (or more) 8-15 gallon kettle fermenters is not a wise thing.

Do what you like, but I don't see using the BK as a fermenting vessel, too, as a good idea. Or even a practical thing to do. I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace. Besides, I'd rather have the kegs as dedicated items than try to MM one into trying to do both brew and ferment.

You might think you're avoiding "thousand paper cuts"... Instead, you're playing Russian roulette with your batches. So trading paper for a live chamber...
I dont know why you arguing with me. Golddiggie, the intent of this thread was to kick ideas around.

Why do people buy heat shield for their valves. Here is why,Melted three piece valve . Melting point of silicone: around 1000 degrees.

I never said I was cutting corners, just looking for new ways to do things. Do you think that we always used plate chillers, pumps, three piece valves, ect.. all of those are new ideas. Those ideas came about most likely because someone said hey what about doing this, and tried it.

One pot brewing is not a new idea.

Playing Russian roulette? We are brewing beer. I wonder if someone said that when they dreamed up the idea of fermenting in an old sanke keg?

" I'm normally getting 6.75-7 gallons into fermenting vessel. In a 15.5 gallon keggle, that would be far too much headspace."
My original post said, 8 gallon pot, with 5 gallons fermenting in it. Just imaging a stainless steel 7.5 gallon ale pale.

Here is my fermentation chamber, I dont know why it is not wise to store 4 fermentors at the same time, but I will look into it: (I dont bottle anymore, so now all four of my ale pales fit in there just fine.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn

Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Some kind of stand for the top of a kettle when lautering BIAB 3 gallon batches. A strainer works fine but I'm sure there is some way to make it more efficient

Brew on folks!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicabeer View Post

cheap plate chiller that can be disassembled.
+1 for this idea.
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossy View Post
I dont know why you arguing with me.
I've found that if you say " I like a cold beer after work on Fridays" you will get someone on here to tell you five reasons you are wrong simply because they think the best beer is on Saturday.

Ignore and move on.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
I've found that if you say " I like a cold beer after work on Fridays" you will get someone on here to tell you five reasons you are wrong simply because they think the best beer is on Saturday.

Ignore and move on.
You'll have to define "cold" and qualify if this is during NFL season or not before I can mount an argument.
Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.
People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
daddyo1109
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I want a single post on a base that is tall enough to invert my glass carboy over for drying. If this is already available, point me in that direction. If the post could be hollow with air holes to permit hooking up a blow dryer for quicker drying, even better.

Quick Reply