Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
quickdrawbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

What desperately needs to be invented? I'm part brewer, part inventor and I could use the opinions of other brewers for this one. Is there something you wish existed or search for that just isn't on the market? How about something that does exist, but just sucks - do you wish there was a better one to choose from?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3471 Times on 2149 Posts
Likes Given: 2982

I'd like to have a better method for oxygenating my wort. I'd like to oxygenate it while chilling. I know what to do, but it's low on the list right now. A gizmo on the output of my plate chiller.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I want an 8 gallon stainless steel brew pot, with a sealable lid. That way I could boil, chill, pitch the yeast, and then seal up the brew pot and ferment. I want two of them so that I can do two 5 gallon boils at the same time.

One step eliminated from the brew day.

"That was proper 1420, that was."
- Old Gaffer at the Bywater Inn
daddyo1109 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I want all the nuts on my valves and dip tubes to be big wing nuts.

No more 7/8" wrenches to remove the valves and the dip tubes inside my keggles. Just hand tighten with the wing nuts.

(I'm thinking of getting a welder for this).

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think there should be a better and simpler valve.

I think it would be possible to make a valve where you could just remove the end, and then be able to clean out the whole valve with a pipe cleaner. You could do it without removing the valve body from the kettle.

(dont laugh at the drawing, I made it with MS Paint, while typing up the post)

better-valve.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossy View Post
I think there should be a better and simpler valve.

I think it would be possible to make a valve where you could just remove the end, and then be able to clean out the whole valve with a pipe cleaner. You could do it without removing the valve body from the kettle.

(dont laugh at the drawing, I made it with MS Paint, while typing up the post)
You can easily clean the 3 piece ball valves now. Plus, it's easier to open them than what you drew up (assuming you have to turn the handle multiple times to open/close it). IME, I want to be able to close the ball valve, or any valve for brewing, fast. As in under a second from grabbing the handle to the valve is closed.

Personally, I've not come across anything (in some time) that I could really use that either isn't already available or I cannot make myself.

BTW, Grossy, why do you want all 'wing nuts'?? I've not wrenched down the compression nuts inside the boil keggle or mash tun keggle in some time. I find that finger tight (for me at least) is more than enough to do the job. in the MLT, the dip tube has the [stainless steel] ferrules attached properly, so they won't move. Hand tight is more than enough to keep that connected for the mash. For the BK, I have a delrin ferrule on that dip tube. Also more than good with being hand tight. IF these were under pressure (and outside the keggles) I would probably wrench them down. Actually, all the fittings that hot wort runs through (or from the keggle/mash tun keg) are wrenched down so that they seal 100%. But, that's completely different.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
Grossy
Grossy Proudfoot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You can easily clean the 3 piece ball valves now. Plus, it's easier to open them than what you drew up (assuming you have to turn the handle multiple times to open/close it). IME, I want to be able to close the ball valve, or any valve for brewing, fast. As in under a second from grabbing the handle to the valve is closed.

Personally, I've not come across anything (in some time) that I could really use that either isn't already available or I cannot make myself.

BTW, Grossy, why do you want all 'wing nuts'?? I've not wrenched down the compression nuts inside the boil keggle or mash tun keggle in some time. I find that finger tight (for me at least) is more than enough to do the job. in the MLT, the dip tube has the [stainless steel] ferrules attached properly, so they won't move. Hand tight is more than enough to keep that connected for the mash. For the BK, I have a delrin ferrule on that dip tube. Also more than good with being hand tight. IF these were under pressure (and outside the keggles) I would probably wrench them down. Actually, all the fittings that hot wort runs through (or from the keggle/mash tun keg) are wrenched down so that they seal 100%. But, that's completely different.
You make a good point abut about quickly shutting the valve off. But unscrewing four nuts and bolts with lock washers is not quick. Also all the parts of the valve have to be cleaned. The washers are not heat resistant.

Screwing down hand tight can work, but if it is not tight enough it can bleed air, leaving wort behind. Wing nuts are an easy solution to that.

I have found that there is nothing in the mechanics of brewing that is hard. It's just a lot of stuff to do. I call it a death by a thousand paper cuts.

I'm just trying to eliminate a few of those paper cuts.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
jcam91
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

+1 for a kettle/carboy.

Brew on folks!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Not had any issue using the one in my keggle, with just finger tight. I'm talking about as tight as you can get by hand, not just snug. I'll check the mash tun one next time to make sure it's not leaving more behind than it should. Don't think it is, but will double check that one.

BTW, -1 on the kettle as a fermenter. IMO, that would get REALLY expensive fast. Plus, you're limited to the number of kettles you can store (for batches)... I have three beer fermenting vessels for my normal batches, plus one more for bigger batches (up to about 12.5 gallons in a 50L keg fermenter). It's far easier to store three tall 1/4 barrel kegs than three keggles.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
sicabeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Juice steamer with my brew kettle as the bottom pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-KRONA-S.../dp/B0002IBQL2

Also some sort of water/wort manifold for a centralized valve system.

cheap plate chiller that can be disassembled.

low cost bottle run filler caper

Quick Reply