Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > what thickness is side-wall and bottom of sankey keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
superG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default what thickness is side-wall and bottom of sankey keg?

what thickness is side-wall and bottom of sankey keg?
Cannot find this information anywhere - I have a european style 'plus keg' with 1mm - 0.03937 inch = 39/1000 - thickness - this seems mighty thin for a boil kettle.
I also have a standard US style sankey keg - not yet converted, but I wanted to know what is the thickness of the sidewalls and the bottom. I've googled the web, but can't find the direct information.

Does anyone know these dimensions I am seeking? If so , please reply.

I'm going to convert the US standard sankey keg anyway, but want to compare steel thickness with that of the Euro keg - if the sankey keg sidewall and/or bottom is much the same as the 'plus keg' then I'll also convert the other kegs I have.

thanx in advance

oh - here's a link to the information page for the 'plus kegs'
http://www.schaeferkegs.com/PDF-file...PLUS%20keg.pdf
they are covered in a polyurethane rubber to protect them, which is why the steel is so thin, i think - 1mm is not a hell of a whole lot! that works out to 39/1000 of an inch!
I'm going to remove the PU plastic no matter what - if nothing else I can use the 'plus keg' as a HLT or insulate it for a mash tun, or just scrap it for the stainless steel value if it has no value as a homebrew vessel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superG View Post
I'm going to remove the PU plastic no matter what - if nothing else I can use the 'plus keg' as a HLT or insulate it for a mash tun, or just scrap it for the stainless steel value if it has no value as a homebrew vessel.
You could also use it as a fermentor.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IIRC, US Sankes are 14 gage (0.0747) and 18 gage (0.0478) according to the Machinery's Handbook. 18 being the keg, and 14 being the skirt material (everything you see above and below the welds on the keg. 18 gauge is plenty thick, and if you are worried about sturdiness you can always leave a little of the top of the keg like most of us do. It adds stability and handles to the boil kettle. Handles are nice .

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply