Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What are these things called?...and where can I find some

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Dustin_J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What are these things called?...and where can I find some

I'm refurbishing an Angram beer engine and I need to replace the seals for the cylinder. The only problem is that I can't find out where to buy them or what they're actually called. I talked to the guy at UK brewing and he was great, but he said that they'd be out of stock for probably a month or so. Also, it seems like these sorts of things should be easy (and probably cheaper) to find via McMaster or someplace similar, but I don't know what to search for. Clearly, they're not O-rings but the correct name eludes me. Anyway, here's a picture. You can see why I want to swap them out If any of you guys have suggestions on what these are called and where/how I can find a few, I'd definitely appreciate it.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

flat orings?

O-Rings, Cordstock, and Accessories

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check the yellow pages or the net for a seal manufacture they are out there that can custom make one but can be costly or wait a month from your other source. I had a couple custom seals made for a power steering box input shaft that was no longer available for only $48 and glad to have them.
One as a spare. Yours looks like a step square ring, thinking if it can be built up by adding two square rings or get lucky with one square ring.
Check a bearing supply house as they should have seal catalogs or a source or company to go to. Hey good hunting get it pumping again.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the guy at the UK brewing place had some, why not ask him what they're called? Maybe he even has a part number. It looks like some kind of gasket to me.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks like a cup seal-the same sort of seal that usually comes with a steel retainer on the OD, like an axle seal on a car. Get the exact measurements of the shaft's diameter for the seal ID, and the body's inner diameter for the seal OD. A local bearing and seal company should be able to fix you up. Buy a couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Dustin_J
Recipes 

Cool, thank you very much guys. I'll check into these suggestions and see what I can find.

"People who choose Bud and Coors over a microbrew are the same people that put catsup on their steak." - Some guy on the internet

Quick Reply