Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #81
ms8miranda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars View Post
Years ago you could buy sodium carbonate even cheaper from the laundry aisle of a supermarket, as "washing soda." No longer it seems.
Is 'washing soda' pure sodium carbonate? ...and is sodium carbonate what they call 'soda ash'?

If you contact Arm & Hammer (online), they will tell you where to get washing soda locally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #82
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms8miranda View Post
Is 'washing soda' pure sodium carbonate? ...and is sodium carbonate what they call 'soda ash'?

If you contact Arm & Hammer (online), they will tell you where to get washing soda locally.
Yes, washing soda is sodium carbonate aka soda ash. It's a general household cleaner, and a pretty powerful one at that. But it is caustic, with a PH of around 11, so be sure to wear gloves and eye protection.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #83
GTbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Is there an ideal ratio of water to Sodium Percarbonate/PH up?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #84
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffey View Post
When you sanitize with bleach it's best to mix an equal amount of bleach and vinegar into the water you're sanitizing with. Bleach on its own won't kill certain bacteria unless the water has some acidity to it (hence the vinegar.)

It's important not to mix the vinegar and bleach directly, or you will end up with a nasty toxic cloud. Pour the bleach into the water, mix, then add the vinegar. There's an audio file here Basic Brewingâ„¢ : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Basic Brewing Radioâ„¢ (March 27th) that breaks it all down.

I've done all my sanitizing with bleach/vinegar and never had a sanitation-induced infection.
I love this solution. I heard about it on that episode of BBR. I've been using it religiously for months now. He says specifically 1 ounce of bleach, 1 ounce of white wine vinegar, 5 gallons water. This is extremely cheap and works very well. I'd put it against one step or whatever really. I use dish soap to clean, and the dishwasher for anything that will fit in it. The dishwasher is especially useful for sanitizing bottles and caps.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #85
dhempy
Recipes 

I'm a recent oxyclean convert ... it really does the job on dirty carboys. I use cool water (so as not to loosen the glue on my "fermometer"), let sit overnight, dump, rinse, and CLEAN! Very handy .. wish I'd found it earlier. I don't bottle much but I'll give it a try next time I'm de-labeling.

Like others, I swish with a 1/4 tsp of iodophor and a gallon of water, and set the carboy upside down in the stand and have it ready for cooled wort.

Dan

Old 09-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #86
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Betadine is now discontinued.

The replacement is Videne

Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #87
acro
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffey View Post
When you sanitize with bleach it's best to mix an equal amount of bleach and vinegar into the water you're sanitizing with. Bleach on its own won't kill certain bacteria unless the water has some acidity to it (hence the vinegar.)

I've done all my sanitizing with bleach/vinegar and never had a sanitation-induced infection.
It should be noted that this solution should not be used on stainless steel!

Sodium Hypochlorite will degrade and pit stainless steel. This happens to a lesser extent when mixed with Sodium Hydroxide (which bleach is.) However, when the pH is dropped down (vinegar) it exacerbates this problem and pits stainless faster.

Do not clean your corny kegs with this.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #88
grace1760
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Am I overdoing it?

I clean with something called Straight-A, which I get from my LHBS. I sanitize with an Iodophor-based solution...although to be honest, I'm not very exacting when it comes to creating it (I simply add about 1 capful for 2-3 gallons of water).

Here are my questions:

1) Do I need to use pre-boiled water when creating my sanitizing solution of water and Iodophor? I have been, but if I don't need to I would like to eliminate the time- and energy-consuming process of pre-boiling.

2) Do I need to rinse after soaking in the Iodophor solution? I have been (with tap water), but now I'm thinking I'm defeating the whole purpose?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #89
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

What big stores sell oxyclean? Is it worth buying straight sodium percarbonate online instead of getting powdered oxyclean? What is the best concentration that people have found? Planning to use oxyclean/sodium percarbonate + Star San.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #90
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
What big stores sell oxyclean? Is it worth buying straight sodium percarbonate online instead of getting powdered oxyclean? What is the best concentration that people have found? Planning to use oxyclean/sodium percarbonate + Star San.
Wal-mart sells it, just make suer it's unscented.

Quick Reply