Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #341
Tom128
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So doing some research I am confused on Oxyclean's status as a simple cleaner and not a sanitizer. It seems as though Oxyclean is hydrogen peroxide when activated with water, and hydrogen peroxide is very effective at sterilization. Isn't Oxyclean the same thing as OneStep? I have both and they seem to be identical.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #342
SteveWPG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure if this has been asked but I can't find it anywhere. I want to use Bar Keeper's Friend to CIP my fermenters (cleaning and passivating) but I'm am not sure how much to use. What concentration do I mix it?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #343
G8S
Recipes 

Default heat after Star San

If I want to dry heat sterilize my bottles in the oven, after a rinse in Star San, would it be critical to have no foam left before going into a hot oven (300-340 deg F)? Of am I going over board? I am trying to prep them for short storage, NOT immediate bottling.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #344
schmitt777
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWPG
Not sure if this has been asked but I can't find it anywhere. I want to use Bar Keeper's Friend to CIP my fermenters (cleaning and passivating) but I'm am not sure how much to use. What concentration do I mix it?
I have inadvertently scorched my new kettle :-(. PBW is not working on a couple quarter sized spots that I just can't seem to get clean even with a green scrubber and a lot of elbow grease.

Any thoughts on cleaners to get this off the bottom of my brew kettle ? Bar keepers ? Just don't want to ruin my kettle.

Where did you buy bar keepers ?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #345
SteveWPG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitt777 View Post
I have inadvertently scorched my new kettle :-(. PBW is not working on a couple quarter sized spots that I just can't seem to get clean even with a green scrubber and a lot of elbow grease.

Any thoughts on cleaners to get this off the bottom of my brew kettle ? Bar keepers ? Just don't want to ruin my kettle.

I bought mine at Canadian Tire for $2/1lb can. It is something that is pretty easy to find I think, and is supposed to be pretty good for that kind of stuff.

EDIT: I think you can get it at a lot of home stores; they have a list of places it's sold on their website.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #346
5Star
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Short Storage and Sanitization

Hello,
Five Star recommends sanitizing immediately before use. If you sanitize with Star San, (or any other means) and then shelve the vessel or bottle, you are risking contamination.

Always sanitize just prior to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8S View Post
If I want to dry heat sterilize my bottles in the oven, after a rinse in Star San, would it be critical to have no foam left before going into a hot oven (300-340 deg F)? Of am I going over board? I am trying to prep them for short storage, NOT immediate bottling.

Cheers,
Nicole
www.fivestarchemicals.com

Old 08-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #347
5Star
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitt777 View Post

Hello,
Is your kettle stainless? PBW is very effective at breaking down carbon. Have you tried upping the concentration and letting it soak?

Cheers,
Nicole
www.fivestarchemicals.com

Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #348
EVBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was browsing thru this thread and wanted to add a couple comments to some of the posts i saw. First the bleach, chlorine and adding vinegar thing. Chlorine is the same thing as bleach, just at a much higher concentration. Bleach is a much more effective sanitizer if added to water with a low ph. Anything acidic can be used for this. Vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid etc. Next, the oxyclean thing. Oxyclean is powdered hydrogen peroxide, but i believe it has detergents added to it also. I personally use 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide i buy at a local hydroponics store and dilute it down to 3%. Very good cleaner and sanitizer. The peroxide you find at your local grocery store has other additives in it.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #349
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffey View Post
When you sanitize with bleach it's best to mix an equal amount of bleach and vinegar into the water you're sanitizing with. Bleach on its own won't kill certain bacteria unless the water has some acidity to it (hence the vinegar.)

It's important not to mix the vinegar and bleach directly, or you will end up with a nasty toxic cloud. Pour the bleach into the water, mix, then add the vinegar. There's an audio file here http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio (March 27th) that breaks it all down.

I've done all my sanitizing with bleach/vinegar and never had a sanitation-induced infection.
Hi there

Sanitizing or cleaning with bleach? I am asking because I am looking for a good cleaning agent.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #350
naughty240
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok im sure this has been asked and answered but I cant find it. LOL

Ok so I got my new pump sprayer. Should I clean with PBW before I put the Line cleaner (LLC) in?

Or can I just give the sprayer a good shake then fill my lines like normal?

Thanks

Quick Reply