Originally Posted by AImhoff88
Hey guys, I have a few quick questions about cleaning/sanitizing.
1. What are the exact differences between cleaning/sanitizing?
2. The only thing I use to prepare my bottles for bottling is non-scented dish soap. Is this sufficient?
3. If not, what effects will it have on my beer?
1.A. Cleaning is the removal of material from a surface.
1.B. Sanitizing is killing or rendering inactive microorganisms on a surface.
As you can see, these are quite different things. Cleaning is generally accomplished with soaps, detergents, surfactants, etc. Sanitizing is accomplished by chemicals that sanitize per the above definition.
2. No. You need to sanitize the interior of the bottle, which the dish soap (although it may do a perfectly good job of cleaning) does not do. I use Star San, squirted up into the bottle with a vinator (a sort of pump). Both of these products are available at finer homebrew supply outlets everywhere.
3. The bottle part? Maybe nothing, maybe you'll get random bad bottles of beer.