New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #221
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRobinson View Post
Is Starsan the only non-rinse cleanser?
No Iodopher is as well and I generally prefer it. It will stain things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #222
THRobinson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
No Iodopher is as well and I generally prefer it. It will stain things.
You prefer it, but it stains things? or you prefer it over Starsan, and Starsan stains things?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #223
Jimbo5Star
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We at Five Star offer Star San as well as Io Star so we actually sponsor both dogs in this fight. Star San is non-staining, more eco-friendly than Iodophors and also engineered to impart no off-odors or flavors in beer. Iodophors can impart off-flavors to the discriminating pallet especially if diluted at stronger concentrations. As Iodphors are used at various strengths, depending upon what you are attacking, few labels are well written and few folks dose correctly. Our Iodophor dilutes to 1 ounce per 5 gallons achieving 25 ppm, which is appropriate for the home brewer, although half as much is still often sufficient. Iodophor is a "no rinse" sanitizer when used at or below 25 PPM.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #224
THRobinson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo5Star View Post
We at Five Star offer Star San as well as Io Star so we actually sponsor both dogs in this fight. Star San is non-staining, more eco-friendly than Iodophors and also engineered to impart no off-odors or flavors in beer. Iodophors can impart off-flavors to the discriminating pallet especially if diluted at stronger concentrations. As Iodphors are used at various strengths, depending upon what you are attacking, few labels are well written and few folks dose correctly. Our Iodophor dilutes to 1 ounce per 5 gallons achieving 25 ppm, which is appropriate for the home brewer, although half as much is still often sufficient. Iodophor is a "no rinse" sanitizer when used at or below 25 PPM.
Thanks for the info.

I'll still likely rinse quickly anyway... just with the other products where you 'must' rinse, I was always worried what if I didn't rinse well enough. At least with these two products if I don't rinse 100% then who cares.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 AM   #225
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Rinsing is a problem if you contaminate it with your rinse watter or it gets contaminated by air/touch before your finished.

I use starsan, BTF iodophor and cheap bleach for sanitizing, all for different phases of brewing. They all have their particular strengths for my different parts in the process.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #226
HighGravity
Recipes 

It depends on where you live and what water comes out of your pipes. Many places have very fine clean and safe water, where you can just rinse anything off or add tap water to your beer at any stage.

For example, in Vancouver the water is less than 7ph, I heard its usually 5 or 6, which makes bleach more effective. If I added vinegar to the bleach it may give off clorine gas. I think it fluctuates bc sometimes I do feel the effects of a little clorine when using 5 tbsp per carboy, recently I haven't noticed it at all.

It's very sad, but I heard that Coca Cola is going to sue the city of Vancouver bc it has a new policy of discouraging use of disposable water bottles (Dasani), and advertised at the 2010 olympics that local water is safe to drink and better than bottles water. They provided (GASP) brand new public water fountains beside the vending machines.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #227
THRobinson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I just moved here for a while (parents... sigh) until back on my feet. They're in a very very small town and the water has a slight 'tint' to it. I'm springing for a water filtration system for the drinking water, but even then, I think I'm going to pay the $7 for the giant jugs of water at the local stores. I think those should be fine for brewing with and the left overs for a quick rinse.

As for Coke, that is sad... trying to sue the city for trying to reduce wasted plastic. That's why I'm getting the water filter installed. I see people at the stores buying 6-8 cases of water bottles and think wow what a waste. I'm only buying the 18 litre jugs for brewing but returning the jugs back to the store when done, not tossing them out or anything.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #228
LittleBro
Recipes 

Default wort chiller

Hello all_

I'm the new kid on the block...bear with me if I say something stupid! lol

I recently built a counterflow wort chiller. It was constructed out of new 3/8 ID copper tubing. My concern is... How do I properly clean this line before usage? Will syphoning 5 gallons of B-Brite through it be sufficient? Then a sanitizer? Or will I need something else to remove any possible oils and residues from manufacturing?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 AM   #229
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone heard of Beer Brite? Maybe this is B-Brite repackaged?? My local homebrew store sells it and I have used it a few times with good results. It is a white powder which is comprised of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Silicate. The directions are 1Tsp per gallon of water for cleaning\sanitizing followed by a warm then cold rinse. I have a small bag of it; however, it sounds like StarSan is much easier to use!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #230
Jimbo5Star
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgy101 View Post
Has anyone heard of Beer Brite? Maybe this is B-Brite repackaged?? My local homebrew store sells it and I have used it a few times with good results. It is a white powder which is comprised of Sodium Carbonate and Sodium Silicate. The directions are 1Tsp per gallon of water for cleaning\sanitizing followed by a warm then cold rinse. I have a small bag of it; however, it sounds like StarSan is much easier to use!
Actually sounds like a PBW type knock-off. Star San is a sanitizer. You cannot sanitize what isn't already clean, by definition. Like many other 'cheap & easy' alternatives it doesn't appear to have any chelators so you will eventually get beer stone in your set up. 2 rinses? That's odd.

Quick Reply