Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #201
Stephen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I currently use pretty much the same, dish washing liquid to clean everything and a one step no rinse sanitizer. I will try the oxy with the water I have and see how it works. Never had my water tested, I use a filtered water in my coffee maker and I do have to clean my fixtures with vinegar every so often to get rid of build up. I use spring water to make my beers. We will see, thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #202
sanch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my LHBS sold me some CIPTON it is a caustic cleaner because i had a blemish in a carboy that i could not remove; with oxy clean, iodaphor bleach, elbow grease fantastick and any thing else i tried. the CIPTON took it off no problem in a 1/2 hour soak. has any body used this before? it worked wonders for my carboys. I thought one was clean and then i soaked it in the CIPTON it looks two shades clearer than i have ever seen it. has any body else used this? I am going to use it every time!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #203
FrostyBeverage
Recipes 

When using star-san does everyone just make the 5 gallon batch? I am just starting up brewing. I bought the bigger than God intended bottle of star san that has the small chamber marked at 1/2 oz and 1 oz. I would like to make a smaller than 2.5 gallon batch of it for smaller jobs.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 AM   #204
Frosty86
Recipes 

Ive been thinking that i could use the sani tabs (you know the blue stuff used for sanitizing beer and drink glasses at a bar). You see I work at a bar and I could trade the boss a few beers for acouple bottles of the tabs. It says on the bottle it kills HIV virus. ...............................................Any thaughts?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #205
Frosty86
Recipes 

Might I add its a no rinse.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #206
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty86 View Post
Ive been thinking that i could use the sani tabs (you know the blue stuff used for sanitizing beer and drink glasses at a bar). You see I work at a bar and I could trade the boss a few beers for acouple bottles of the tabs. It says on the bottle it kills HIV virus. ...............................................Any thaughts?
Quoting myself from another thread on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Quaternary ammonia sanitizer would work fine as far as "sanitizing" goes (as Gila says, it is or it isn't). However, for brewing, the quat would leave a residue that would significantly reduce head retention. So, you could use it, but you would have to rinse everything with pre-boiled water.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #207
mpalmer772
Recipes 

I have a quick question. I'm at the end of my fermentation so I racked from my plastic fermentor to a glass carboy. I may have screwed up though so I need to know what happens if I rinsed my carboy with B-Brite (sodium carbonate) but I forgot to rinse after I washed. I must have had a brain fart and I was thinking it was the same as Star-San. This just happened s I can still re-rack the beer to yet another carboy or I might go ahead and put it back in the fermentor and get ready to bottle.

What do you think, will I have funny tasting beer?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #208
mpalmer772
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmer772 View Post
I have a quick question. I'm at the end of my fermentation so I racked from my plastic fermentor to a glass carboy. I may have screwed up though so I need to know what happens if I rinsed my carboy with B-Brite (sodium carbonate) but I forgot to rinse after I washed. I must have had a brain fart and I was thinking it was the same as Star-San. This just happened s I can still re-rack the beer to yet another carboy or I might go ahead and put it back in the fermentor and get ready to bottle.

What do you think, will I have funny tasting beer?
Everything is bottled up now so I guess we'll see what happens

Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #209
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

should be ok. rhahb! as long as you used the recommended amount of b-brite and didn't go heavy you should be ok.

from a winemaking forum:

You should be fine. As you said, it is a percarbonate cleaner just as Easy Clean or One Step. You can use these products no rinse. I use Oxy Clean and Sun Brand (other percarbonate cleaners) and normally don't rinse after using it.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #210
MBCUK
Recipes 

can you use baby sterilizing fluid as a cleaner? Diluted in a spray bottle

Quick Reply