Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #111
thebigo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Denture Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly McStanson View Post
How about using a denture cleaner to for hard to reach places. I was thinking of using Polident to clean my keg system. You can get a good size box of Polident at BJ's Whole Sale Club.

Polident cleans and sanitizes as well as being food grade.
I have used denture tablets to clean my water bottles for years with great success on smell and cleanliness. I am also curious as to how well this works on brewing equipment...anyone?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #112
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I have tried several cleaners and my carboys still smell like nasty yeast. Is there any way to get rid of this smell, and will it hurt the next batch?

As a side note- I was using One Step with my Mr. Beer and having all sorts of problems even soaking for 20-30 minutes. The stuff is useless if you ask me. The iodophor is an easy rinse, count to 10, and go. I do rinse right before I fill something though. And I seem to have a metallic taste in my mouth after drinking my first beer of a new keg- which I probably incorrectly attribute to the iodophor.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #113
DonArmando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Do you know if bleach has any side effects on glass like....stains?
I filled my bottles with MUCH bleach and water and let sit for like 10 hours and i have opaque-spotted bottles...and before this long soak they were perfectly cristal-clean.

And i find almost impossible to remove this stains also!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #114
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchair View Post
And I seem to have a metallic taste in my mouth after drinking my first beer of a new keg- which I attribute to the iodophor.
The metallic taste is much more likely to have come from chloramine in your tap water than from iodophor. When they say "no-rinse," they really do mean "no-rinse."

Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #115
rmchair
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
The metallic taste is much more likely to have come from chloramine in your tap water than from iodophor. When they say "no-rinse," they really do mean "no-rinse."
That's what I would think too, but I have well water. It seems like whatever it is, its in the sediment, because after the first glass or two its gone, maybe its some lubricant from the corny fittings. Oh well, not gonna worry about it. Point taken on the no rinse though.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #116
Marius
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anybody tryed Chemipro Oxi Vinoferm?
If someone has... How do you use it?
It says No-rinse but i don´t know if its a good sanitizer.

I would love to buy StarSan but i didn´t find where to buy it here.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #117
shipfaced
Recipes 

Location: Found a stray Parrot. All he says is "good morning you ugly prick" It's not yours is it?

Bleach, according to one canned kit manufacturer is OK, so from then on I have used this with no problems. No soap touches my stuff or bottles.

I take the fermenting vessel outside, using hose fill half full with water first - add 2-4 ounces of bleach then top off and let sit for an hour or overnite. Then using your hand, rub the inside of vessel clean. Rinse with clear water and start a new batch.

Bottles get a 2-4 ounce shot of bleach (no soap) in the dishwasher then run as normal. They say try to use un-scented bleach if possible but I can't find it?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #118
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The dishwasher's not actually going to do very well at cleaning inside your bottles. Also, I used to use bleach to clean the growlers I had before homebrewing and that much rinsing to get rid of the residue was a complete pain in the ass.

Life has been so much better by ordering PBW and StarSan. A PBW soak gets everything clean, and StarSan is a quick, easy and NO RINSE sanitizer. Also, to whomever on this board first suggested StarSan in a spray bottle: Pure Genius.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #119
shipfaced
Recipes 

Location: Found a stray Parrot. All he says is "good morning you ugly prick" It's not yours is it?

You should try your bottles in the dishwasher again .... with a little less bleach they sparkle.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #120
Kpetersen
Recipes 

I use some stuff I get from work (work in a hospital kitchen) called oasis 146 multi quat sanitizer. It is a red liquid that you dilute heavily with water. It is what we use there to sanitize these giant mixing bowls that are too big to be put through the machine that sanitize stuff with very hot water. It is no rinse and does not have an overpowering smell when compared to bleach. It has four active ingredients and seems to work very well. I can list those if anyone cares, but as of now I don't feel like typing out these chemical names.

Quick Reply