Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #101
joetank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

how about going to the CO-OP (feed and seed store) and buying 10% Idophor? its the same as the Betadine. that you can but at walmart for twice the price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #102
celtic_dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Is it ever possible that Star-san could make the beer taste bitter. Only reason I ask is because the last 3 beers I have kegged all have a horrible beer taste to them and there were the first times I have ever used star san?

Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #103
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_dude View Post
Is it ever possible that Star-san could make the beer taste bitter. Only reason I ask is because the last 3 beers I have kegged all have a horrible beer taste to them and there were the first times I have ever used star san?
I am sure it is just coincidence. There is nothing in Star San that could make an entire batch overly bitter.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #104
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A question and a comment.
1) I have an old keg that I'm converting to a keggle. It had Foster's in it. It still had
pressure on it and some soured beer. It's got some kind of funk on the walls and
bottom. I used BKF and oxyclean. I scrubbed the he$$ out of it and it will come off
but I'll be an old(er) man with Hulk Hogan arms at this rate. Should I let the oxyclean
set over night? Any other ideas?
2)As far as allergic reaction, If you are only allergic to shellfish, you can use the iodine
based sanitizers. It's an iodine allergy you have to watch out for. If you are allergic
to iodine, you shouldn't use the cleaners or iodized salt (just about all restaraunts
use it, so ask). An example of shellfish allergy gotchas is taking vitamins where the
calcium is from oyster shells. I am allergic to shellfish (after 46 years and out of the
blue) and found out the hard way about it and the vitamins. But, ya'll know if you
have the allergy, check with your Doctor versus the HomeBrewTalk Doctors! - Dwain

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #105
flyerdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I cannot get iodophor or star san here.. What should I use to clean my corny kegs and what to use to sanitize. I can get oxyclean. Is this safe for stainless

Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #106
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdx View Post
I cannot get iodophor or star san here.. What should I use to clean my corny kegs and what to use to sanitize. I can get oxyclean. Is this safe for stainless
Seriously, just bite the bullet and order a big jug of Star San concentrate from Morebeer.com. They will ship US Postal Service, so you won't pay a fortune for duty or brokerage fees (avoid the express couriers or they will rob you blind).

If you mix up Star San with reverse osmosis water (probably cheap in the bottled water section of your grocer), it lasts for months, and can be reused over and over if your equipment is clean going into the soak.

There are likely some Canadian online retailers that carry one or the other, too. Have you tried Noble Grape?

EDIT: Just checked Noble Grape's website. They carry iodophor. They have a big store in Fredricton.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #107
flyerdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

thanks for the info..

Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #108
billp425
Recipes 

new here and just getting started brewing (setting up equipment stage right now). anyone ever use a product called benefect for sanitizing their equipment? just discovered it today in a search for something not too toxic to be putting on surfaces that will contact the liquid that i'll be drinking. more information about the product at benefect.com. its advertised that you can spray it on and not require a rinse, but i'm thinking a rinse with treated or boiled water couldnt hurt. any experience out there with this stuff? sounds interesting, made from thyme oil.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #109
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I didn't see DBC(Drainboard cleaner) mentioned in here, but I didn't read every page either. Anyhow, I used this stuff to clean to clean up some surface rust on a SS IC that I just got. Worked like a charm, wiped it away in seconds. It's a Mineral & Lime Solvent, I suppose it's similar to CLR. It's made by National Chemicals in Minnesota. I wanted to use BKF but the LHBS didn't have any.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 AM   #110
HOW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic_dude View Post
Sometimes I wonder about this too. I've had a bunch of failures since moving to Oxi/StarSan from Diversol. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Quick Reply