The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default What Sanitisers and Cleaners are used.

Brewers are an ingenious lot.

This is a list of some of the products uses for cleaning and sanitising.

Cleaners

1. Oxyclean (an industrial version)
2. PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) - Caked on deposits, similar to oxiclean usage.
3. Bleach Soak (~1c/5gal) When visibly clean, but I want a good single cleaning/sanitizing step
4. Hot water no detergent
5. If it's stainless, BKF.
6. Dish soap.
7. TSP (tri-sodium phosphate solution)
8. dishwasher detergent.Calgonite brand
10. Anti-bacterial dish soap
11.Antiformin S (it's like bleach but with more caustic). It's rapid! A 20% bleach solution makes an excellent cleaner too.
12. BLC for the hoses/connectors/faucets.
13. an unbranded powdered beer line cleaner (not BLC) I get from the LHBS for cleaning my keg lines
14. Straight-A (percarbonate cleaner)

Sanitisers

1. Idophor (a medical version -- Betadine 10% aqueous)
I pay £3 for 500ml and need 1.25ml per litre to make a no rinse solution
Description: If you keep your equipment clean between brews, Iodophor is a great sanitizer. (Your equipment will not be clean if you simply rinse after use. You must use a cleaner, such as TSP.) Iodophor is excellent for stainless steel- which Diversol will corrode- and all other beermaking equipment. Mixed properly and used in a spray bottle, Iodophor is almost magical in its convenience: there's no waiting and no rinsing. Cleaning Iodophor does not clean. Use a cleanser such as TSP before sanitizing with Iodophor. Sanitizing Mix 1 ml per litre of cold water. You must use a syringe for accurate measurement. Use a spray bottle to coat equipment with solution. Shake off excess or allow equipment to drain. Do not rinse. Use the equipment. It's that easy! Cautions When in solution, Iodophor rapidly breaks down. Every time you use it, you must make a fresh solution. Not effective unless mixed accurately. Use a syringe. Will not clean dirty or stained equipment. Hazardous for those with iodine allergies. Concentrated solution stains skin and fabric.

2) Bleach (15mL/gal) + HOT water rinse (Sodium Hypochlorite)

Description: Unscented household bleach can be used as a sanitizer and cleaner. For sanitizing, it is just as effective as Diversol. For cleaning, however, either Diversol or TSP would be preferable. Cleaning Mix 2.5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) and follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol . When rinsing, remove all traces of chlorine smell. Sanitizing Using a solution of 5 ml per litre of cold water (1 tbsp. per gal.) follow the cleaning instructions for Diversol Cautions See above. Don't use scented bleach. Those 'spring fresh' and 'lemony' perfumes will sink into equipment permanently. All subsequent batches will smell and taste like perfume.

3) Autoclave (glassware only) (18psi @ 250˚F for 20min)

4. Starsan- no rinse and I love the foam

5. Diversol (Sani-Brew) Description: As well as being a sanitizer, Diversol has the added benefit of being an extremely effective cleaner. Available under a variety of trade names, you'll recognize Diversol because it is a chlorinated pink powder. Cleaning Dissolve 3.5 g per litre of cold water (5 tsp. per gal). Soak stained equipment up to 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly with hot water. Sanitizing Fill primary fermenter with Diversol solution (3.5 g per litre of cold water [5 tsp. per gal.]). Fully immerse all equipment: hoses, spoons, bungs, hydrometers, thermometers, airlocks, and primary lid. Soak equipment for at least 20 min. Remove lid, rinse carefully (but thoroughly) with hot water and turn it upside-down on the counter. Rinse equipment, placing items inside sanitized lid. To sanitize a carboy: With bung in carboy, slosh 9 litres (2 gal.) Diversol solution all around inside. Repeat twice, with 5 minutes between repetitions. Rinse after 20 min. Cautions Corrodes stainless steel. Can bleach clothing. Do not mix with acids, amines, or ammonia. Such a mixture produces dangerous gases.

6. One Step since it came with my kit. I have not noticed any discernible effects of the two. I use star-san because it can be re-used and I can buy it in larger quantities.

7. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for little parts

8. Potassium Metabisulphate (
Campden tablets) Potassium metabisulfite is sometimes used in the brewing industry to inhibit the growth of wild yeasts, bacteria, and fungi. This is called 'stabilizing'. It is used both by homebrewers and commercial brewers alike. It is not used as much for brewing beer, because the wort is almost always boiled, which kills most microorganisms anyway.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Great list Orfy. My only comment is that bleach can be used as a cleaner/sanitizer if you give it enough time. I used to soak my primaries o/n with a bleach solution and by the morning they were spotless. PBW is faster so I use that now.

GT

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Just to add to the sanitizers (sanitisers), I sometimes use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol for little parts (and then rinse with pre-boiled water) and sometimes not-so-little parts when in a jam. But if I remember correctly, I couldn't get that in the UK... I believe it's Surgical Spirit and has more in it than isopropanol and water (and probably cost more than 1£ for a liter... a liter of Isopropyl Alcohol is about $2 in the States).

ADDED

Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
Great list Orfy. My only comment is that bleach can be used as a cleaner/sanitizer if you give it enough time. I used to soak my primaries o/n with a bleach solution and by the morning they were spotless. PBW is faster so I use that now.

GT
Thanks.

That's why bleach is in both lists.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Duffey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

When you sanitize with bleach it's best to mix an equal amount of bleach and vinegar into the water you're sanitizing with. Bleach on its own won't kill certain bacteria unless the water has some acidity to it (hence the vinegar.)

It's important not to mix the vinegar and bleach directly, or you will end up with a nasty toxic cloud. Pour the bleach into the water, mix, then add the vinegar. There's an audio file here http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio (March 27th) that breaks it all down.

I've done all my sanitizing with bleach/vinegar and never had a sanitation-induced infection.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
twocylndr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've read dish washer detergent will will leave a film on what is washes. If you sanitize bottles in the washer don't use a detergent. This film will create a static tension on the bottles and make them more susceptible to exploding.

Plus any dishwashing detergent will cut down on head retention if used on your beer glasses.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocylndr
I've read dish washer detergent will will leave a film on what is washes. If you sanitize bottles in the washer don't use a detergent. This film will create a static tension on the bottles and make them more susceptible to exploding.

Plus any dishwashing detergent will cut down on head retention if used on your beer glasses.
I've sanitized in the dishwasher with no problems. As you said, no detergent OR rinsing agent allowed. Usually though I use Oxyclean and Iodophor...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Orfy, you might add Potassium Metabisulphate to that list too -
I know that it is predominately a wine chemical - but as a sanitiser - works bloody miracles

Kilroy

ADDED

Primary:
Nothing - Out of room - have to bottle something before I can fit more on the aging shelf.

Secondary:
Lost count, too many damn carboys

rebeccacode Likes This 
Old 11-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Why isn't Urine on the list?

ok ok delete this one if you want to keep this thread 100% serious

Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
blefferd
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i use starsan as a cleaner/sanitiser, if i have a fermenter that has caked on yeast ill add the star san let it sit for a few mins and go at it with the carboy brush works great!

i clean my mash tuns out with it every now and then also

Beer and Kalashnikov since 2007

Quick Reply