Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What is the minimum size kettle for all grain boils?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
mangine77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the minimum size kettle for all grain boils?

7.5 or 8 gallon right? I've read all the aluminum vs. stainless steel debates but how many people have actually used the turkey fryer kettles without burning or scorching the wort?

Help pick out my next beer for the British Open:
http://albatrossbrewing.blogspot.com/

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, That's as good as they're going to feel all day.
-Frank Sinatra

http://albatrossbrewing.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can go that small, but my personal preference would be no smaller than 10 gallons. You could be boiling 7-8 gallons depending on your evaporation rate and I like to have a little wiggle room to avoid boilovers, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
pixelmonk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done 5 gal batches on 8gal pot w/no problems. you babysit when it comes to boil and set it from there.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do 5 gallon batches right now with a 7.5 gallon aluminum turkery fryer. I usually start with 6.5 gallons of wort and I really do have to watch for boilovers, it's close.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

5 gallons - if you brew 2.5-3 gallon batches. Just to remember that there are options, and some of them don't require giant equipment... you could also use 2 5 gallon pots at the same time.

I like my 10 gallon thick restaurant-grade aluminum pot for full boils of 5-5.5 gallon batches.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I start with 7.4 gallons and boil it down to 5.3 so that I can get 5.0 in the fermentor. SO, in this case I NEED to have a 10 gallon or larger kettle. I have a 15.5 keggle, and it works nicely. Ideally, you would have a 10 gallon kettle or better.
Also, I have never heard of, or experienced scorching wort in a turkey fryer... I have never heard of this phenomenon either. Why would it be any different than using a SS kettle?

Old 11-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would say to get a 10 gallon pot at a minimum. It wouldn't be much more expensive than an 8 gallon, and it will give you some extra space. In retrospect, I definitely wish I had paid the extra 20 bucks for the 10 gallon version of my pot... From what some others have said, being able to collect extra runnings during your sparge will allow for better efficiency since you can boil off more water to get your target OG.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Also, I have never heard of, or experienced scorching wort in a turkey fryer... I have never heard of this phenomenon either. Why would it be any different than using a SS kettle?
Scorching wort is commonplace when doing extract as the syrup will settle to the bottom of the pot when you initially add it. My first batch in my fryer kettle ended up getting scorched. All I did for the next batch was to shut my flame off till I was sure the extract was distributed in the water and fired it back up.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Oh, I didnt know that we were talking about scorching malt extract, I thought we were talking about scorching the wort during the boil... like as in AG. Woops.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're trying to figure out what to buy, spend a little extra and go with the 10 gallon. As others have said, it will make your life a lot easier.

Quick Reply