Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What mill? And other stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Bowow0708
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What mill? And other stuff

I know that this has been discussed before, but what kind of mill should I get? I've heard great things about BC, MM, and C&S. But which should I get?

I live in the Philippines and I'm not sure if customer service would appreciate sending replacement parts or me sending the mill to the USA and back if anything was wrong with it. So I need it to be really durable and the brand to be reliable, and its really really humid here to so something that won't rust.

Btw I've been wondering, if I bought the mill, say from northernbrewer, would customer service for said brand's customer service still help out?

I had an old post about if i should go an all out investment or to wait and accumulate, here, but I've been so busy that I haven't even done a thing about it! Anyway, I was walking through the streets one day and found a guy with a huge pot, most likely and hopefully 15 gals. I've even found a kitchen surplus and am planning to check it out if they have a large enough pot. so that saves a ton for me buying here. So if I go all out on my USA order it'll be a mill, a plate chiller, a corker and corks, a extract and AG kit, grain and hops, and misc. stuff.
And my eyes have been opened to the wonders of session beers which makes AG even better! And AG is cheaper, another reason is shipping's a b*tch to get over here so another reason to buy grain in bulk.

ps. I'm planning, if everything goes perfect and I do go all out, a big buy either once a year or every 2 years (Really hard to brew when half the year is rain, but perfect fermentation temps though! normally it would be at the 80's over here. Hm, saisons in the hot season, ales in the rainy?)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In your situation I would get an immersion chiller rather than plate. Monstermill makes a good mill with a stainless option. I don't think most shops stock it (they stock the regular hardened steel

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
In your situation I would get an immersion chiller rather than plate. Monstermill makes a good mill with a stainless option. I don't think most shops stock it (they stock the regular hardened steel
why would a immersion chiller be better? The water temps here never get lower than 70 in the hot season and I hate having to waste so much water.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowow0708 View Post
why would a immersion chiller be better? The water temps here never get lower than 70 in the hot season and I hate having to waste so much water.
I agree, I use a immersion chiller and I have cold spring fed well water...But it still takes 25-35 minutes or so of recirculating to get down to pitching temp.

Plate chillers, while can be a PITA to clean are more efficient.
Fermenter 1: Anarchy Red IPA
Fermenter 2:
Fermenter 3:
Fermenter 4:
Kegged/Bottled:
Coming Soon:Strawbeery Blond, Westmalle Triple Clone
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing
www.knuckleheadbrewing.com

Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I have multiple immersion chillers, and one therminator. I use the Therminator every time that I can get away with it as it works so much better/faster.

On Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, Session Porter, American Brown Ale, Rum Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy, Beer Camp #118 Grandma's Closet

On Deck: Oud Bruin, Blue Corn Saison, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Pomegranate Cider

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just used a plate chiller for the first time...WOW....so worth it...and really not that much more money than an immersion...and you don't need a pump it will work with gravity. As far as Mills go....I have a Barley Crusher...it works fine...not super impressed with it but it gets the job done....I had to do a lot of adjusting with it to get it right....I had high expectations it would be amazing and its just so so IMO

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I'm for the plate chiller as well, it works so well. The MM2 looks like a good mill. I have the MM-3 with the 1.5 rollers and that works well. I'd get the bigger 1/2" shaft if I could do it again.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Why are people talking about the plate chiller when my real predicament is in what mill to choose?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Whats your question? What do you want from this mill? The "what mill is best" has been beat to death. They are all good, some cost more and will last longer. You have to tell us what you want from your mill? Mill grain to make beer? They all do that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we need a question?

Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
zeus53219
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The Rebel mill is built like a tank and quality made. I'm pretty impressed with mine. They are currently out of stock, but you can email them with your info and they will put you on the list. There customer service is really good, explain your situation, they may be willing to work something out with you.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Rebel-Mill-Grain-Crusher.html

Quick Reply