Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Magnets/Stir Bar do you use for your Stir Plate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #11
Harvestsmiles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

@MSUConrad, I was curious about that, I just finished my stir-plate build and after testing with water and some black pepper I almost dumped my stir bar down the drain and was curous what to do if it ends up in the fermenter... Thanks for the tip

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also when getting your stir bars make sure they call have the band in the middle for rotation. Some do not.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilecabinworks View Post
Also when getting your stir bars make sure they call have the band in the middle for rotation. Some do not.

Im curious why they need the band in the middle?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife

Im curious why they need the band in the middle?
It gives the bar something to rotate on reducing friction and allowing better vortexing. plus it makes less noise. Also helps if you have a weak magnet.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilecabinworks View Post
It gives the bar something to rotate on reducing friction and allowing better vortexing. plus it makes less noise. Also helps if you have a weak magnet.
I bought some of those. The stir bar kept getting thrown. I took a razor blade and removed the band. No more thrown bars.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #16
mtnbikerbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestsmiles View Post
@MSUConrad, I was curious about that, I just finished my stir-plate build and after testing with water and some black pepper I almost dumped my stir bar down the drain and was curous what to do if it ends up in the fermenter... Thanks for the tip
It's a good idea to have an extra magnet around to attach to your flask and hold your stir bar when decanting and pouring your starter into your batch. Unfortunately, if you lose your stir bar in your fermentor, I would just suggest leaving it there until your transfer your beer. To me the risk of reaching in to get it isn't worth it, though I guess you could try to fish it out with a sanitized spoon. Since your stir bar should be sanitized, I wouldn't be worried about leaving it in the fermentor, just make sure you remember to get it out later so you don't dump it down the drain (made that mistake)...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikerbrewer View Post
It's a good idea to have an extra magnet around to attach to your flask and hold your stir bar when decanting and pouring your starter into your batch. Unfortunately, if you lose your stir bar in your fermentor, I would just suggest leaving it there until your transfer your beer. To me the risk of reaching in to get it isn't worth it, though I guess you could try to fish it out with a sanitized spoon. Since your stir bar should be sanitized, I wouldn't be worried about leaving it in the fermentor, just make sure you remember to get it out later so you don't dump it down the drain (made that mistake)...
**TIP - If you want your stirbar out of your flask or fermenter, you can get a nice rare earth magnet and slide the magnet up the side and the stirbar will follow, right up to the top.

To prevent scratching, just place a thin piece of paper or fabric between the magnet and the fermenter/flask.

This will get the stirbar right up to the lip and onto the magnet without having to touch the fermenter.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln

I bought some of those. The stir bar kept getting thrown. I took a razor blade and removed the band. No more thrown bars.
Thrown bars tends to be an issue of too fast of a rotation ( you don't need to spin super fast to keep yeast suspended), or a vessel with a bottom that is not flat (like a mason jar or growler). Removing the band probably allowed enough fiction to keep the bar from throwing. If it works, use it!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Rhuarc
Recipes 

I know this thread is old, but since this is the everything stir bar thread...

I built a little DIY from a computer fan, a hard drive magnet, and a small stir bar. The only stir bar my shop carries is a half inch. When hooking the fan to 9V the bar gets thrown. I have to hook it to a 5V adapter to get it to not throw. But at that speed and that size bar I am only getting a small 3/4" dimple in a 1,000ml starter. Is this enough to oxygenate it? How could I increase the vortex without throwing the stir bar? Would a larger stir bar create a larger vortex without throwing at the same speed?

Thanks!

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Coffee Porter, Scottish Ale, British Mild, Simple Hefe, Caribou Slobber

Old 08-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Handsaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerguy View Post
I just used the other magnet from the hard drive as a stir bar. Shoved it into a piece of vinyl tubing and then cut and sealed the ends of the tubing with pliers and a lighter. Works great.
Is it really necessary to encapsulate the harddrive magnet. What harm is there in letting it come in contact with the starter (assuming that you sanitized it)?

Quick Reply