What do you use to brew 10 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okbrewman

Reaction score
hi all--Im looking into making some double batches.
Any recomendations on what size of pot to use and a fermentation bucket that I could buy or possibly build out of maybe a rubbermaid container?:mug:

I use two Sanke keggles (Brew Kettle and HLT) and a 70 qt Coleman Extreme MLT with batch sparging. I use a bucket to get my mash water into the MLT and then gravity to the kettle. From the kettle, I use gravity to split 11 gallons of wort between two 8 gallon buckets with spigots on them. System is not much to look at, but brews fine beer. It will have to do till the Brewhaus is built.

BrewSetup.jpg

pretty cool Ed, but im not quite ready for that kind of set-up just yet. Im just starting and am using extract into the fermentation buckets.

okbrewman said:
pretty cool Ed, but im not quite ready for that kind of set-up just yet. Im just starting and am using extract into the fermentation buckets.

Ed showed you a simple system to do ten gallons with. If you have additional criteria, let us know so we can help.

I can't see how much simpler it can get than that.

Use an 80 qt or larger stockpot for brewing and split your batch between two 6-gal carboys (or buckets). You can probably get an aluminum pot that big for $70, I'm pretty sure people have posted on that recently.

Moonshae said:
Use an 80 qt or larger stockpot for brewing and split your batch between two 6-gal carboys (or buckets). You can probably get an aluminum pot that big for $70, I'm pretty sure people have posted on that recently.

tyty--what do you think If i built something to hold 10 gallons--would the quantity have any effect at all on the finished product?--I would think not, but just not sure

Gammon N Beer said:
Ed showed you a simple system to do ten gallons with. If you have additional criteria, let us know so we can help.

I can't see how much simpler it can get than that.

yea it looks pretty simple-I need to get ahold of a few kegs and go from there--

I just bottled my first extract today, so am pretty raw at this

Hey Ed,

Just curious, why you got the tun sitting on a couple of 2X4's. Also, no discharge tubing on the tun??

Additionally, thanks for the apfelwien recipe, wifey actually prefers a 50 cent bottle of Ed's wine over an $11 bottle of pinot grigio.

Mike

called all over the place Ed and finally got a keg. Turns out my dad has one out in the shed(go figure)--thx for the idea--I did some research and I really like it:rockin:

I was thinking about doing some double batches too. Do people use a regular size immersion chiller, since the volume is that much bigger?

wilserbrewer said:
Hey Ed,

Just curious, why you got the tun sitting on a couple of 2X4's. Also, no discharge tubing on the tun??

The 2x4's bring the valve exactly the same height as the handle of the keg. I vourlauf into a 2 liter beer pitcher, then connect some silicone tubing the runs through the handle and into the keg.

The cinder blocks bring the keg up high enought to gravity drain into my bucket fermenters.

It's been a long day, but I'm cleaned up and have 10 gallons of IPA tucked away in the freezer in the garage with the controller set at 66 degrees.

After 10 days, I'll crash cool and keg before I head out of town on vacation.

Glad you like the Apfelwein.

Hey, thanks Ed, from the pic it looked like the tun would be high enough w/out the 2X4's...but pardon me...I kinda feel like the Lion talkin to the Wizard. Nice lil set-up you got there!!

Enjoy the vacation!!!

Back