*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What to do when you Oxiclean too much

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
GeorgeH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What to do when you Oxiclean too much

I bought a spare keg a couple months ago and was prepping it to use it. So I put some Oxiclean in it. And forgot about it.

This week I opened it up and poured out the water in it, only to find a rough surface inside. Apparently the Oxiclean started forming crystal stalactites, and they wouldn't dissolve in clean water.

I was worried that I had ruined the keg, but after doing some reading I added 2 cups of vinegar to 5 gallons water and in the morning the keg was like new!

So the bottom line is, don't leave Oxiclean in stuff for 2 months or you'll start to get crystal formations. And if you do: vinegar and water will clean that right up.

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Pretty common.

To get rid of the "scale," the residue from oxyclean, you use a weak acid solution, Starsan works great, but you can also use a dillution of either vinegar or lemon juice in water.

When I am processing my bottles I fill one sink with whatever weak acid I use, soak my bottles inside and out with them for a couple minutes and re-rinse.

If you use starsan in this way, it DOESN"T COUNT as a sanitization step....at tleast I don't think of it that way, I still sanitize them on bottling day.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you use starsan in this way, it DOESN"T COUNT as a sanitization step....at tleast I don't think of it that way, I still sanitize them on bottling day.
That's a good idea in general (not to hijack the thread or anything). If the starsan dries, I don't consider it sanitized anymore and will spray them down right before use. It's only sanitized as long as it's wet.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

according tp 5*, it leaves an acid layer on the article. but 5gal is a year supply so better safe than sick.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

With our extremely hard well water, Oxi-Clean is guaranteed to leave a film on bottles or etc. if left to soak for longer than 20 minutes or so. The alternatives are to buy RO water and use that, or just employ a different product. I use PBW, which contains ingredients that prevent this from happening. As has been mentioned, if you get such a film, just use white vinegar.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I used to get the scale when using Oxiclean because I was filling the bucket with hard water directly from my outside faucet. The vinegar & water trick worked well back then.

I now fill the oxiclean bucket inside where the water has gone through the water softener and I do not get the scale residue anymore.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
ReverendTenHigh
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip! I had 2 carboys I thought were ruined. I thouht I would never get the crystalized oxyclean out. Gonna try this out tomorrow! What is the science behind the vinegar takin care of it?

Primary: Petite Saison d'Ete (Bretted), Good Tennis Red IPA
Secondary: Saison, Belgian Strong Dark, Sour Graff (on Cherries), Flander's Red, The Screeching Locust Sour Rye Brown
Bottled: Butternut Autumn Ale, Groundhog's Shadow 2010-2011, Boil Order Imperial Porter
Kegged: Third Eye Pale Ale, Orange Wheat
http://reverendtenhigh.blogspot.com for all my brews and views (Needs updating)

Old 09-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendTenHigh View Post
Thanks for the tip! I had 2 carboys I thought were ruined. I thouht I would never get the crystalized oxyclean out. Gonna try this out tomorrow! What is the science behind the vinegar takin care of it?
Vinegar is acetic acid. The mineral deposits are soluble in acid so they dissolve.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
That's a good idea in general (not to hijack the thread or anything). If the starsan dries, I don't consider it sanitized anymore and will spray them down right before use. It's only sanitized as long as it's wet.
the small amount of residue starsan leaves behind when the water evaporates from the mix will continue to kill bacteria. i wouldnt rinse a container with starsan, let it dry and leave it open for a long time.

but when i clean a carboy, rinse it with starsan and store it upside down, i do consider the inside sanitary even after it dries as long as nothing has touched the surface. if it were a bucket and it was left rightside up with the top open, i would re-sanitize to get the dust and whatever probably settled on it out.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
ReverendTenHigh
Recipes 

Quote:
Vinegar is acetic acid. The mineral deposits are soluble in acid so they dissolve.
I was kinda lookin for something a bit more technical

Primary: Petite Saison d'Ete (Bretted), Good Tennis Red IPA
Secondary: Saison, Belgian Strong Dark, Sour Graff (on Cherries), Flander's Red, The Screeching Locust Sour Rye Brown
Bottled: Butternut Autumn Ale, Groundhog's Shadow 2010-2011, Boil Order Imperial Porter
Kegged: Third Eye Pale Ale, Orange Wheat
http://reverendtenhigh.blogspot.com for all my brews and views (Needs updating)

Quick Reply