Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What to do with Sankes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
cyberwollf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What to do with Sankes

So we all know that stealing kegs is bad.... I just took over the beer responsibility in an organization and there is about 5 empty sankes in the kegorater, I need to get rid of them to make room for the full kegs im buying today.... Noone seems to have any paperwork or know where they were bought from???

In my past life im guilty of buying a keg off craigslist to make a keggle. people are basicly stuck with the kegs, if you dont have the paperwork or they are too "old" the distributor wont take them back. Its really the brewery that is getting screwed, but if you cant get the depot back what ARE you supposed to do? Drive a few hundered miles to a BMC brewery and drop their keg off in the parking lot??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
JasonInBTR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can ship them to me. I'll take them back for the deposit

Primary - Barleywine, APA, IPA, Strawberry, Pumpkin
Secondary -
Kegged - Raspberry Wheat
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck -

Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Eat the deposit and drop them off at a liquor store...or have them fall off a truck.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I say if they wont take the keg back and you lost the deposit those are your kegs now.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwollf View Post
So we all know that stealing kegs is bad.... I just took over the beer responsibility in an organization and there is about 5 empty sankes in the kegorater, I need to get rid of them to make room for the full kegs im buying today.... Noone seems to have any paperwork or know where they were bought from???

In my past life im guilty of buying a keg off craigslist to make a keggle. people are basicly stuck with the kegs, if you dont have the paperwork or they are too "old" the distributor wont take them back. Its really the brewery that is getting screwed, but if you cant get the depot back what ARE you supposed to do? Drive a few hundered miles to a BMC brewery and drop their keg off in the parking lot??
I think you have to, at the very least, make an honest effort to return them. I'm not saying drive to the north end of our capital city, but make contact with the owner of the distributor. Tell him your situation. If the distributor doesn't want them, I'd have no problem keeping them for maybe a fermenter or a spare keggle or giving them to a fellow brewer. Notice I said give not sell. IMO, it'd be wrong to sell them. I think that's how I'd handle it, YMMV

Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
cyberwollf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
I think you have to, at the very least, make an honest effort to return them. I'm not saying drive to the north end of our capital city, but make contact with the owner of the distributor. Tell him your situation. If the distributor doesn't want them, I'd have no problem keeping them for maybe a fermenter or a spare keggle or giving them to a fellow brewer. Notice I said give not sell. IMO, it'd be wrong to sell them. I think that's how I'd handle it, YMMV
Its kinda sad that we have to go through that much trouble to "do the right thing" Since its the brewery that is hurting, you'd think (in their interest) they'd have some sort of system to get their >$200 kegs back....

Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Completely agree

Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This situation is the main problem i have with keg deposits and brewery rights to kegs. If i have a keg, and the distributor says they won't take it, then that keg is mine. It's the breweries responsibility to make sure the distributors get their kegs back. I shouldn't have to go any further than idid to get the beer to return the keg.

Call me immoral or what, but it's complete BS otherwise. If i am stuck with a keg that says miller on it. If i go to a distributor that sells miller, they should give me the deposit back. If not, the brewery loses, because it's my keg then.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
oregonparamedic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd say they're yours. I spent 2 years looking for the legal kegs I found. They were almost brand new and left behind when the bar closed. A quick call to the local liquor control office and another to the distributor confirmed they had been considered abandoned by the brewery and they were all mine. In the end I'm glad I jumped through the hoops but it was a serious pain. I'm still on the waiting list for a couple of the local breweries to pick up kegs from them once they deem them unusable and plan on selling them.

Originally Posted by conpewter
That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well....if you're taking over the beer responsibilities....keep them there, and fill them with homebrew. No harm no foul.

Quick Reply