LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #11
rdlamb2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cappers

Quote:
Originally Posted by richanne
The original post said that after "a couple of refills" the tops of the bottles began to chip away. He must have one brutal capper!
This is my first post, hi all. I have a very old capper and works exceeding well. When I give out samples there in 12 oz bottles and I continue to refill my 22 oz and have never had a problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #12
The Professor

Recipes 

Default Mad Capper

What kind of capper are you using? It may be that you are using more force than is needed to get an airtight fit. Try using just enough force to secure the cap. It sould not twist when you try to turn the cap after capping.

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
The Professor

Recipes 

Default Plastic bottles

If you decide that you are going to bottle, I recommend reusing glass beer bottles. Even thought the plastic is somewhat easier to cap, plastic is a porous material that will not keep your beer as fresh as glass. It is also harder to clean and maintain than glass. If the issue is chipping bottles then I would suggest just using enough force to cap the beer but not chip the glass. If the cap wont twist when turned then you have a seal.

But the most important thing to remember when homebrewing is to use what's best for you. There will always be differing opinions on any matter so try both ways and weight the pros and cons for yourself.

My work is finished here. Quick, to the brew mobile!!!

Old 12-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
Brewman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a press capper, like one for putting corks in wine bottles. And I have used the same bottles for years with no problems...... I have to say go with glass bottles if you are going to age the beer for months.

I always make a batch and put a 12 pack on the side to drink like 9-12 months later...... its much better aged!

Quick Reply