Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What to do with a 53 gallon bourbon barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
iijakii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
Yikes, that sounds expensive.

I would think that heat would work. Boil up 10 gallons of water in your brew kettle, get it into the barrel ASAP, losing as little heat as possible, then slap in a bung and roll it around for a few minutes. Dump the water and throw the bung back in, and it should be close enough for beer......
Don't need to fill it, LOL.

I don't know. It seems remiss to put starsan or water in a barrel that's been in contact with such greatness. Seems like you'd be washing away a lot of goodness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
why not just fill it with a star san solution? it would accomplish the desired sanitation as well as keep the barrel nice and moist so the staves don't dry out and leak. that much star san would be cheap and easy!
I was thinking that, too, but what effect would an acid sanitizer have on wood? I just don't know enough either way to actually advise someone to try it.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
Don't need to fill it, LOL.

I don't know. It seems remiss to put starsan or water in a barrel that's been in contact with such greatness. Seems like you'd be washing away a lot of goodness.
I hear ya. On the other hand, how would 10 gallons of water even come close to filling a 50 gallon barrel?

I'd probably just leave it as-is and go with it, as long as it had been kept closed up. Brew up something nice and strong that could "self-sanitize" the thing.

Really, if we're talking about a whiskey barrel, that had bourbon aged in it for several years, would the interior even be a hospitable environment for nasties anymore? We might be having a "how should I wash my bar of soap" type conversation here.....

Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Nyg215
Recipes 

I picked up one of the Victory barrels on wed and they smell so good!! i plan on rinsing the beer out with some water then saran wrapping around the keg until i have a brew marathon weekend to fill it.

img_0074.jpg  

Old 11-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
lindenboy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

10 g boiling water rolled around and dumped after a few should sanitize just fine. I'm sure starsan would work too but I don't like the idea of leaving that sanitizer in there after it's dumped, although against that large of a volume it wouldn't matter much, huh?

We just used a Heaven Hill barrel with the above method - keep in mind tho that it hadn't been compromised and was pretty fresh. Before that, we had a Beam barrel that is on its 4th batch now. Our friends let it dry out between batch 3 and 4...don't ever let a barrel dry out or you'll be in the same boat with a near ruined charred oak barrel. But you can even rescue a barrel from the brink fairly easily with the right techniques.

Jason
Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply
Indianapolis, IN
http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com/
jason-at-tuxedoparkbrewers.com

Quick Reply