What to do with 2 plate chillers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an existing Shirron plate chiller and a I also have a Therminator on the way. The Therminator will be purposed for the brunt of the wort chilling.

What do you think is the best application in the brewery to take advantage of BOTH chillers?

I'll throw out the obligatory answer. I'll send you my address and you can send it to me, then both chillers will be used to the fullest extent.

:)

If you really think you need to use both of them and your tap water is never cold enough you could use them in series. Run tap water through the first one to knock it down most of the way, then have ice water (or glycol) pumped through the second one. Of course now you have two chillers to clean

I would sell personally. But if you want to use both you can pump wort through the one you dont want for cooling and circulate water from your hlt to heat the wort instead of having direct fire.... just a suggestion

If you really think you need to use both of them and your tap water is never cold enough you could use them in series. Run tap water through the first one to knock it down most of the way, then have ice water (or glycol) pumped through the second one. Of course now you have two chillers to clean

+1

I've been thinking of buying another plate chiller off ebay to do this very thing.

I Always recirculate some PBW through my shirron then some water. I then stick it in the oven until the next brew session - gets baked several times from 300-425 degrees. Some 10-15 plate chiller are less than $50 on ebay.

Maybe I will sell it. Dunno yet.

Don't need it for a heat exchanger as my rig is already a rims (electric heat exchanger) as well as direct fired..

What is a used Shirron worth?

Cut it in half! Then show us if there really is a buildup of organic matter in the nooks and crannies!

Back