New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What Burner Do You Use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default What Burner Do You Use?

Yep, I realize this is a highly discussed topic.. but, reports are with old and new units.. I'd like to know only about the NEW units..

I'm looking to upgrade my burner from the common turkey fryer (low btu) to something better.

I'm a bit confused reading some of the reports here as well as on Amazon. Why? Because some of the reports for , say, the Bayou Classic are rated as great.. but they are using the old 20psi regulator which is no longer shipped.

Also, some of the reports I've read show that some burners are great for cooking and not so great for boiling volumes of water.. further confusion as the websites don't seem to say which is which.

I DON"T want a jet burner.. rather. I'm looking for something in the 55-65,000btu range that won't eat a ton of propane. Also, I don't want the Blichmann as it's pretty pricy..

So, I'm looking at the NEW SP-10's, the SQ-14 and the Camp Chef models

Of the new models.. what do you have? What do/don't you like about it, How long does it take to get from tap temps to mash/sparge temps, etc.

Thanks for any input.. and, Oh, Did I say the new models.. I know these threads can get off topic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
tjBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I use the SQ-14 and love it. Fits keggles with room to spare and is very sturdy. I usually fill my HLT and turn the burner on while mlling my grains and getting set up, then heat up the sparge during the mash. Sparge from 50 or so to 190 in about 45 min, and that's not having the burner turned up very high at all. I usually get four batches per tank. Could probably do better if I built a wind screen, as the SQ-14 doesn't have one.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Between those two, I think the SQ-14 is a winner. Its only shortcoming is the lack of a windscreen and that can easily be resolved. It's absolutley a great bang for the buck!

On the 20 psi reg., I personally think that would be too much. The normal 10 psi reg has no problem blasting the flames out if turned high enough...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-bayou-classic-sq14-windscreen-addition-330988/

Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 490

I have the "newer" sp-10 from bayou classic, and it came with a leaking regulator hose. I sent it back for a new one. Guess what... that one has a leak also, postponing my brewday another couple weeks or so. I am pissed off at bayou classic. I ordered the burner from Amazon LLC, through amazon.com. Make sure to check the hose for leaks right away.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

On the SQ-14 performance, this is from a previous post of mine:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/burner-recommendation-newb-372221/index2.html
"My SQ14 does pretty good with propane usage I'd say. I can get a good 4-5 batches from a 20# cylinder and these are All Grain batches where I'm heating strike/sparge water as well as working the boil.

I havent yet timed 8 gallons but I did time 6 gallons from ~130 degrees to boil in right at 30 minutes."

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
HopSong
Recipes 

Like your project.. Looking at the pics of the burner kit vs some of the pics I've seen in other places online.. Some regulators have a throttling valve after the regulator.. does this model?

If not, can you add a valve to it? I've read that BC's have their own proprietary threads.. sounds dumb... but, I don't know.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No extra valve beyond the regulator. I dont see what that would do for you since the reg itself allows you to adjust the flow rate. I also dont know why you couldnt add a valve inline if you really wanted to for some reason. Not sure about any proprietary thread patterns...

Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have a "new" SP10 (60,000 BTU) and love it. Won't ever go back to using the stove top, that's for sure.

Fermenting: Biermunch Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Hard Cider
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA
Bottled: Irish Red Ale
Bottled: Belgian Witbier

Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
HopSong
Recipes 

jp.. that sucks.. it should be caught before shipping.
Nagorg.. thanks for the help.. Love that avitar.. I need lessons to help me learn how to imbed a photo using my Elements.. I can't seem to get it on my own. Old age I guess.
Upthewazzu.. love that user name.. and loved messin in Pullman when I was up there. I'll be back.

'preciate the input you all have given.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Don't overlook the Blichmann. May be a bit more pricey, but man that thing is built like a brick sh*thouse, will most likely far outlast most cheaper products. I couldn't believe the weight of that thing when I got it.

Quick Reply