Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What is the actual volume of a corny keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the actual volume of a corny keg?

So I'm talking to this guy selling glass carboys and he tells me that they are 19L. I assume this means to be 5 gal, but he corrects me and tells me that a 5 gal carboy is actually 23 L.

And this is something I've noticed at the HBS for their 5 gal carboys. I have one at home, but when you fill it up its well over 20 L, probably 23 L like this guy says. So that makes it about 6.1 USgal and about 5 ImpGal. So is that how these things are classified, in Imperial Gallons? Or is that just for us up here in Canada?

None of this really matters, though. What has me concerned now is what the actual volume of a 5 gal corny keg is, because thats the system I plan on setting up soon. So what is the max fill volume on a 5 gal crony keg? Anyone know or can check?

And assuming I want it full in the end, what volume should I start with in primary?

Up next - Hoegarden clone, then maybe a Corona clone
Primary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing
Secondary - Nothing, man I should really brew something...
Bottles - Just yeast, drank all the beer :(
Keg 1 - Sleeman Steam Beer clone
Keg 2 - India Pale Ale

2 Keg system is now operational!! :D Draft beer on tap at Chez Driftwood!! (Just in time for hockey :D)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

when i fill a corny w/ 5 g of beer, i have about 3-4 inches of head space in the corny. i'd say they are 6 g capacity.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I have adjusted my brewing to 6 gallon batches. I sparge 7.5 gallons into the kettle and then boil down to 6 gallons over the course of an hour. The 6 gallons is the "hot" volume, then there is thermal shrinkage which is about 4%, then there is some stuff left behind (only about a quart). I end up with about 5.5 gallons in the primary. When you finally get to kegging, you will end up with just about as much as the keg will hold.

You have to be careful not to fill a corny keg too full. Don't submerge the short tube for the gas line which sticks down into the keg an inch or so from the gas port. If you do, you run the risk of back flowing wort into your regulator if you connect a pressurized keg to an unpressurized gas line (been there, done that, get check valves it's worth it).

So, the long and short of it is, make a little extra, like a 6 gallon batch, and you'll end up with a full keg by the time you get there. I've never actually measured the volume of a corny keg, but you've got my curiosity up now.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
Wally
Recipes 

My pin lock corny keg has 640 uso stamped on the side . converts to 5 usg or 4.16 Imp. or 18.9 L. Hope this helps.

Wally

Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
My pin lock corny keg has 640 uso stamped on the side . converts to 5 usg or 4.16 Imp. or 18.9 L. Hope this helps.

Wally
Nobody is disputing that a 5 gallon cornie can hold five gallons. What is being asked is what is the actual capacity, bottom to top, NOT what is it supposed to hold, which is five gallons.

Sadly, I don't know the answer either.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Anyone ever figure out how much one can really hold and where exactly the 5g fill line would be?

Doing 10g batches and I always end up with the second keg a lot less full than the first.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 06-16-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
So I'm talking to this guy selling glass carboys and he tells me that they are 19L. I assume this means to be 5 gal, but he corrects me and tells me that a 5 gal carboy is actually 23 L.
He doesn't know what he's talking about. A liter is MORE than a quart. There are only 3.8 liters to a gal. X 5 = 19 L.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

As far as cornies go, mine top out very close to 5 gallons. I had 6 gallons of BRR in the fermenter, left a quart of trub in the bottom and ended up putting 1.5L in a soda bottle. Most batches, hitting the fermenter with 5.25-5.5 gallons means a full cornie.

Don't forget, to force carbonate you have to have surface area for the CO2 to enter the ale. With a completely full cornie, the only surface would be the gas tube.

[By full, I mean you don't have to stick the lid in the ale while inserting it. So, 1-2 inches from the top.]

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 06-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Hmm... I put 20L in one and still had 6 inches below the dip tupe.

I need a giant measuring cup to figure this out.

40L split into two cornies leaves one full and one a foot down. since 5g is 18.9 Liters.... They really are bigger than 5g.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I filled an Ale Pale with water o the 5 gal mark and dumped it into a ball lock corny. I took the picture below showing the water level below the dip tube. The 5 gal mark is indeed right at the weld line, 1 to 1.5 inches from the bottom of the gas dip tube.

Quick Reply