Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Well...Finally found some kegs to convert to keggles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 AM   #11
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I don't know how buying from a scrapyard is considered "legal". Do they only accept kegs from breweries? The keg could of been "recycled" by someone for a little extra cash. Essentially the scrapyard is buying an illegal keg, since it still belongs to the brewery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

It seems to me that if you pay a deposit for something, that is giving the vendor a monetary compensation, so that if you do not return the item, then they have been compensated for it. Think about this, soda bottles used to have a deposit on them. Some probably still do. If you do not return those bottles are you breaking a law? I don't think so. I would probably guess that the breweries do not pay more that $30-40 per keg. They get their money back. I don't think any laws are broken. I'll check, though, someone in my immediate family is an attorney and no it's not my Brother-in-law!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Egbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The kegs cost much more than $30-$40. The recovery just in scrap is about that.
I asked my local brewer what they pay for them a couple weeks ago so I could look into buying some under the bulk buy they were doing and it was over $100. They used to do 6.5 gallon kegs, they don't any longer, too many were being kept, at a large loss.

in the case of the bottle deposits, they were not so the brewer cold recover the $.05, they were an incentive to collect them and turn them in. Anyone old enough could remember the sides of highways littered with bottles and cans. It worked, the highways and gutters and public places got cleaned up.

The keg deposit, is just an incentive to return the keg, not the purchase price.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I too once thought the price of keg must have been the deposit amount but was shown the light and had rotten fruit thrown at me for even thinking such a thought.

-=Jason=-

Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1111 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I don't want to beat the usual dead horse but I noticed this:

Quote:
I don't know how buying from a scrapyard is considered "legal". Do they only accept kegs from breweries? The keg could of been "recycled" by someone for a little extra cash. Essentially the scrapyard is buying an illegal keg, since it still belongs to the brewery.
I do see a distinction between what the OP did and buying a keg from a scrap yard. It very well could be a personal justification since I have purchased scrap yard kegs but what the hell, hear me out.

Seeking out a liquor store of questionable ethics takes a brewery's kegs directly out of the cycle. If you hadn't done that, it would have gone back, filled and around we go.

When you go to a scrap yard and find a keg in the pile it very well could have been a result of two unethical people. The guy who sold it and the guy who authorized the purchase. However, as the homebrewer, your intervention only changes the fate of the keg between melt-down and brewing. You don't have a 3rd option to put that keg back into rotation for the brewery. I say that in a general sense because you'd have a hard time actually returning it to the brewery. If you pay $40 for the scrap value, the brewery won't reimburse you for rescuing it. In a more practical sense, my local scrapyard has required people selling out of service pressure vessels with a visible hole to prove it isn't sitting at 300psi and ready to kill someone. That requirement seems to be enforced only sporadically but a hole in the top of a keg certainly eliminates it from brewery reuse.

I'm sure some will say it's just a bunch of mental gymnastics but I do see a difference.
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
CarlLBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

As for the cornies, I work for pepsi in an area where cornies are still used. yes, we also use bag in the box. but when I asked my plant manager if we had any for me to purchase, he asked what the were for and said that we've had many stolen and that must be where they went. So assuming that one area/bottler/distributor is getting out of cornies its wrong to assume that every cornie you buy is legit. will we get out of them? I'm sure we will but we still have accounts set up for cornies and not bags, so we still need them for them.

That's what she said.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
rustym
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I think the big problem in the industry is more than likely, theft of kegs. When people steal a keg and take it to a scrap or sell it, that would be hurting the brewery. By charging a deposit, that gives the seller the opportunity to recover their cost. If a distributor charges me $100 for a keg deposit, you can bet I'll bring that keg back unless I really have a need for one.

Really though it depends on any agreements that you sign when you pay the deposit. Does the agreement state that the keg is the property of XXXXX, and you are renting the equipment? Does it just state that this is a deposit and when you return the equipment you get your money back?
Here's an interesting thread I found by doing a search.

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/a...hp/t-3480.html

I don't know as I haven't bought a keg of beer from a store in a long time. Maybe someone can chime in on this.

Interesting topic.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Wow.........dident think I would start a debate on Ethics. If the Kegs were values at more than $30, then I would think the deposite would increase to the actual value. The owner of the store who sold them to me said, that is what he is charged for them $30. I never considered it as stealing.

I'm feeling guilty. mabee I'll take them back and continue to scour the scrap yards. Ohh but that also would be unethical also. Ohh what to do.......what to do. I know, I'll go to confession and ask for forgiveness, and mabee the lord will speak to me.

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen
tlael Likes This 
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It would be one thing if the kegs were from a small microbrewery trying to make ends meet, but we're talking about Anheuser-Busch. They can certainly afford to spot you a few kegs. It's the least they can do for stifling the creativity of the American beer industry lo these many years.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #20
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 71

So I went to my LHBS to buy a keg for fermenting today. I guess their beer distributor got on them for selling empty kegs. They don't do it anymore. I guess I will be scouring scrap yards and Craigslist! Al

Quick Reply