Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless Thermometer w/ Long Probe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
EFaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Weldless Thermometer w/ Long Probe

Hey,

Anyone know if there is a Weldless Thermometer that has a probe that can be tilted downwards? I use a keggle and the thermometer hole is a little too high... I was trying to find one I saw in the past. My hope was that I can just replace the thermometer with a longer or bent probe that will hit the liquid.

-Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If I'm thinking aobut the same thermometer, the tilting action is on the dial end, not the probe.

You may have to figure out some sort of curved thermowell and a long cable probe.

Or plug the hole and drill a lower one.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
If I'm thinking aobut the same thermometer, the tilting action is on the dial end, not the probe.

You may have to figure out some sort of curved thermowell and a long cable probe.

Or plug the hole and drill a lower one.
BLichmann... and yes, its the face that tilts.

Curved thermowell could work.

Ideally I'd like to not plug the whole.

-Eric

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I recall searching for one and it was expensive, don't recall where I saw it. You certainly can find them in a hand held meter with thermocouple that you could mount in a compression fitting. I think the cheapest method would be to drill a lower hole and get a plug for the existing hole. I considered doing that so I could brew 6 or 11 gallon batches, but wound up in another direction.

http://www.marshalltown-tempco.com/prodva.html ???

Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I recall searching for one and it was expensive, don't recall where I saw it. You certainly can find them in a hand held meter with thermocouple that you could mount in a compression fitting. I think the cheapest method would be to drill a lower hole and get a plug for the existing hole. I considered doing that so I could brew 6 or 11 gallon batches, but wound up in another direction.

http://www.marshalltown-tempco.com/prodva.html ???
I think that is what I am leaning towards. Or just plugging the whole and using one of bobbym's sight glass and thermometer combos.

-Eric

Quick Reply