Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless Cooler Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Jabic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weldless Cooler Conversion

I recently decided that for my smaller batches, I would like to convert an extra 5g cooler I have into a mash tun (I usually use my 10g cooler). I bought my first ball valve/bulkhead converter kit online for my 10g cooler but I would like to save a few dollars this time (I would prefer not to take apart the bulkhead and ball valve from my current mash tun to measure everything). Does anyone have a list of all the pieces/sizes needed to construct the weldless ball valve w/ bulkhead (sizes of the o-rings, nuts, threaded bulkhead pieces, etc). I will be converting a 5g round cooler from home depot.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
vav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabic View Post
I recently decided that for my smaller batches, I would like to convert an extra 5g cooler I have into a mash tun (I usually use my 10g cooler). I bought my first ball valve/bulkhead converter kit online for my 10g cooler but I would like to save a few dollars this time (I would prefer not to take apart the bulkhead and ball valve from my current mash tun to measure everything). Does anyone have a list of all the pieces/sizes needed to construct the weldless ball valve w/ bulkhead (sizes of the o-rings, nuts, threaded bulkhead pieces, etc). I will be converting a 5g round cooler from home depot.

Thanks if anyone can help!

Yep, in the appendix of Palmer's How To Brew 3rd edition....dont have it handy, i'm at work. Can post later tonight if no one beats me to it.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

You're new here...too bad you didn't discover this place BEFORE you bought the first cooler conversion kit...we could have saved you over half the cost...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

Note that 5/8 s/s washers are needed...in the equipment list is a link to fastenal...they carry them.

I did it for my 5 gallon....piece of cake and only cost me 30 bucks or so...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
vav
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You're new here...too bad you didn't discover this place BEFORE you bought the first cooler conversion kit...we could have saved you over half the cost...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

Note that 5/8 s/s washers are needed...in the equipment list is a link to fastenal...they carry them.

I did it for my 5 gallon....piece of cake and only cost me 30 bucks or so...

Ohhhhh Yeahhhh...forgot about that thread

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by vav View Post
Ohhhhh Yeahhhh...forgot about that thread

It's is usually always on the "new posts" page...it's almost constantly added to with questions/kudos....it's odd that it hasn't been in a couple of days.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Jabic
Recipes 

Thanks a ton guys, I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply