Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weldless bulkheads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
SookeBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Weldless bulkheads

Good day all! I am currently building an electric brewery setup in my garage (thread here).

I'm using converted kegs for my brewing vessels, and one thing I'm having trouble deciding is just which style of weldless bulkhead to use for all my fittings.

It seems that most of the major suppliers (Bargain Fittings, Brew Hardware, etc) have a similar kit:

1/2in close nipple, an O-ring of some sort, and a coupling or elbow for the inside of the keg.

If I go by TheElectricBrewery.com's design, They have pretty much the same setup except they have 2 extra shims/washers, one on the outside and one on the inside, as seen in (F and G) in this picture:

Having not used either before, I'm curious as to the difference the extra parts make. It's certainly easier for me to build/order the kit-style bulkheads rather than the Kal-style ones with the extra shims, since McMaster-Carr doesn't ship to Canada (or even to a freight forwarder).

Has anyone got any experience with either or both? It seems to me that, installed correctly, either should work well.

Thanks,

Fermenting: Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Christmas Ale
Planning: Unicorn IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Personally I would get them welded....I've used both bargain fittlings and brew hardware...always had a little drip...so I ended up finding a welder to weld them on

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
kickz28
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IIRC, Kal says on his website that those washers are meant to prevent you from over-tightening the nuts, which would squish and distort the silicone washers, and cause a leak.

I guess if you are careful about over tightening, you should be able to not use those washers and not get a leak.

However, I'm pretty sure you can order all the parts from Canada for cheaper than ordering from the US. Try ontariobeerkegs.com

Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you buy mine and install per instructions, I guarantee you will not have a leak. If you do, I'll either pay to ship it back or I'll fly out to install it for you (whichever is cheaper).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply