Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Welding With Strut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Welding With Strut

Hello Brewlanders-

Been less active for a while, expanding my skillset and pursuing other hobbies. Here's a little project I did the other day....a single burner stand made from UniStrut.

A couple things:

1. This stuff is cheaper than new mild steel. Steel is approx $5 a foot for 2x2 square tube, with a 1/8" thickness. Lowes sells 8 feet of UniStrut for like $25. The channel itself is affordable...the fasteners are where they get ya.

2. Welding galvanized or zinc plated metal creates dangerous fumes. I had to prep the edges anyway, so I took a flap disc to the ends. Fumes weren't too bad at all...but I did have a few porous welds because of the coating. Plus, I'm still learning how to weld, and also learning my machine (a burly industrial unit, not a set-and-forget home model).

3. The project came out quite nice! Fit-up was key. I have enough room to add on if I want to, maybe it could be similar to a MoreBeer 1550 with the offset BK. For now, I have so many BIG tools in my garage, I kind of like the simplicity of being able to fit my brew stuff under a table.

Here she is: http://s165.photobucket.com/user/haw...BURNER%20STAND

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Dang....I guess welding isn't cool anymore

Old 09-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Junkster
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice build - I'm sure it will hold anything you put on top of it. I use strut on welded projects all of the time and I like its versatility. My local Menards has it in painted and plated versions for around $20 for a 10' stick. I try to find used steel at my local scrapyard (including strut), but sometimes I wonder about the money savings vs time spent cleaning it......

Cheers!

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 193

That looks good, the welds look good. Mild tubing is used in everything, cars, buildings, anything construction. If you're going to keep building, try looking for a tubing supply place. I used Roco steel and tubing. I used 16 gauge/.063 less than a buck a foot. I think you'll find mild steel much easier to work with and you get 4-8 welds per connection. The tubing supply place will usually be happy to make the cuts for you. I handed them JonW build cut list and came back in 4 hrs, it was all cut perfect. They charged me $108 with tax. All I had to do was weld it together.
Welding will always be cool!
And I scuba dive every chance I get, scubaSteve

Quick Reply