Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Weird spots on inside of keggle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
slysock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weird spots on inside of keggle

I just converted a keg to a keggle and and got a propane burner for brewing outdoors. I put three gallons of water in the keg and timed how long it would take to boil so I could figure out times for brew day.

Once the water had cooled and i poured it out, I noticed these dots along the bottom of the keg.

Does any body know what this is?

the keg is a 13.2 gallon stainless steel keg that had its top cut off with an angle grinder. the stove is a bayou classic sq14 with a bg12 burner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
barnumbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysock View Post
I just converted a keg to a keggle and and got a propane burner for brewing outdoors. I put three gallons of water in the keg and timed how long it would take to boil so I could figure out times for brew day.

Once the water had cooled and i poured it out, I noticed these dots along the bottom of the keg.

Does any body know what this is?

the keg is a 13.2 gallon stainless steel keg that had its top cut off with an angle grinder. the stove is a bayou classic sq14 with a bg12 burner.
It might be mineral deposits from your water. Did you clean tye keg prior to boiling?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
slysock
Recipes 

No, I didn't, all I did was rinse it out, should I use a oxygen based cleaner or just simple dish soap? Would there be a negative effect from dish soap?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
barnumbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysock
No, I didn't, all I did was rinse it out, should I use a oxygen based cleaner or just simple dish soap? Would there be a negative effect from dish soap?
If you use dish soap and don't rinse it completely out the soap could have an ill effect on taste and yeast viability. Try StarSan to clean and you don't need to completely rinse it either.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #5
slysock
Recipes 

Made a star sans solution and let it sit for a while then scrubbed it with a sponge, took the spots away. Thanks for the help. I'm hoping once I brew this weekend on the keggle they don't reappear. Thanks again!

Quick Reply