Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Water from water heater tank for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
RAWhiteFSU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Water from water heater tank for brewing

I brew on my back deck, right next to the closet that has my NG heated water heater tank. Is there any reason I can't use the water in it to fill my HLT and save time waiting for water to heat up?

Note that if I where to use water from the heater I would use one of these filters on the way to the HLT.

Lofty Intentions Brewing Co., Est. 2011
Tallahassee, FL

LHBS: http://www.homebrewden.com/
NFBL: http://nfbl.org/nfbl/index.php

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Is this the same water that is used for other purposes in your house? If it's good enough for drinking, it's good enough for brewing. If you're worried about precise mineral content, chlorine levels from your municipal supply, etc., then you may have an issue with your tap water.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think it's generally a big no-no to drink hot water from the tap. Something about pipes and hot water causing leaching, or the corrosion on the inside of your tank coming through in some way. There's a reason one doesn't fill a pot full of hot tap water when putting on a pot of pasta, I think.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My old roommate worked in HVAC. He said not to use the hot water when we had a tank because of the gunk and minerals in it. Think about a hot water tank, it fills with water and sits there all day until you use it. When we took out my tank style we opened it up--holy crap it's gross the junk that's in there!!

I now have an on demand water heater. Water does not sit in there, it just goes through a radiator that heats it. If you had an on-demand water heater and your cold water works for brewing, I wouldnt worry. But if you have a tank water heater I would be a little concerned to use for brewing.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Most chefs will cringe at the thought of using water from a hot water tank, insta-heat systems are fine. Those hot water filters are more expensive then standard ones, you are better off filtering the cold water as it enters the water heater.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych View Post
I think it's generally a big no-no to drink hot water from the tap. Something about pipes and hot water causing leaching, or the corrosion on the inside of your tank coming through in some way. There's a reason one doesn't fill a pot full of hot tap water when putting on a pot of pasta, I think.
I've never heard this. However, I'm not saying you're wrong, either. Is there a plumber on here than can weigh in on this?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
nateburn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I remember watching a video series about a test brewery that Hopunion built using an all grain system from More Beer. I think I remember them saying they installed a hot water heater for this very purpose.

Morebeer's Hopunion trip (part 2: Brewhouse hot water on-demand, how Will chose his brewsculpture)

Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Google it up, it's definitely not brewing specific. It may be totally fine in some houses with really good plumbing but I'd wager it's a health hazard in many, not to mention the gunk and crap that's in your hot water tank.

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
RAWhiteFSU
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Is this the same water that is used for other purposes in your house? If it's good enough for drinking, it's good enough for brewing.
This is what my Dad said, more or less to the word.

Quote:
I have read a little about this. If you have copper pipes (I don't think I do but will check when I get home) then you might be concerned because hot water leaches lead out of copper pipes faster than cold water. In my opinion, the amount leached can not possibly be more dangerous than driving to work. Furthermore, I am talking about taking the water out of the bottom of the heater and not through any pipes.

Quote:
My old roommate worked in HVAC. He said not to use the hot water when we had a tank because of the gunk and minerals in it. Think about a hot water tank, it fills with water and sits there all day until you use it. When we took out my tank style we opened it up--holy crap it's gross the junk that's in there!!
Yes, there is quite possibly some sediment in the bottom of the tank. Hence, the filter.

I don't know anything about water chemistry. Would one of the water reports people talk about tell me anything useful about the safety of the water if I pulled it out of the tank?

Lofty Intentions Brewing Co., Est. 2011
Tallahassee, FL

LHBS: http://www.homebrewden.com/
NFBL: http://nfbl.org/nfbl/index.php

Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Huh...I always fill my HLT with hot water from the tap. I figure heating it from 90 degrees will take less time than from 40. The water will be boiled at the end of the process anyway. Is there any proof that this will cause mash or strike problems?

Quick Reply