Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Water Heater Element - What size fitting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
JoeRags
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water Heater Element - What size fitting?

I have an electric heating element I'll be using in my setup. Its a replacement unit for an electric water heater. $8 from Home Cheapo for 1500 watts.

What size fitting to I need to weld onto my keg to be able to screw this baby in?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I would say that it depends on the size of the threads on the element. I would go back to the store, with the element and find one that matches up and that you can weld on to the keg. Also i would get some sort of cap to hide the wires, when they are attatched. This is my HLT, are you planning on making a boil kettle or HLT? Note the two white caps on the sides, they cover the exposed wires and are siliconed up to make them water proof.

It has two elements in it. But before you ask, i bought it like that. it just has a nut and some O-rings, there is no weld on the keg for the element to screw into.

The inside:

Cheers

Old 08-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
JoeRags
Recipes 

It will be used in my 4th vessel. HERMS heating will come via this half of a half barrel with a copper coil in it. This way I can keep my HLT up at the proper temp and still have perfect control over my MT temperature.

I could certainly bring the heating element to a store to try a bunch of fittings... I was just hoping somebody knew off the top of their head so I can order from McMaster.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
AiredAle
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Normally, the threads on these elements are 1" National Pipe Straight Thread, so you need a 1" coupling to weld into the kettle. If you go weldless, get a stainless 1" locknut from McMaster or Grainger. I doubt you will find stainless pipe fittings at local hardware or DIY stores.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredAle
Normally, the threads on these elements are 1" National Pipe Straight Thread, so you need a 1" coupling to weld into the kettle. If you go weldless, get a stainless 1" locknut from McMaster or Grainger. I doubt you will find stainless pipe fittings at local hardware or DIY stores.

Thanks... I need a stainless so I can weld it on. I plan on ordering from McMaster.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I have two that I welded in my HLT and its an odd duck size its a 1" 11-1/2 NPTyou will need to buy a tap to clean the threads when you are done a let me tell you there not cheep you also need to make sure you buy a stainlees tap cause a normal one will break unless you are REALLY carefull. also I would suggest milling down one side a tig it from the inside with baby stitch welds and weld in a criss cross or you will warp the fitting and it will leak then stitch weld the outside in the same fashion. I did two and had to learn from the mistakes I made for the next HLT I make. If none of this makes sence PM me I can explane better
its very doable but they will go egg shape on ya if you dont take the right steps
Good luck
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have a big element (6000W 240V) that uses a 1-1/4" panel nut (like for electrical work/conduit). You can get them at a good electrical supply store or hardware store. I couldn't find a stainless or brass one.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 141

O one more thing I dont know how many gallons of water you plan on heating with a 1500 watt but its not enough to heat 10 gallons of water very fast you will need to go to a much bigger one. Mine is a 5500 watt 220 volt on a relay and a 1500 watt 220 volt also on a relay with a low level switch to protect it.
ya ya ya I know I am a bit loooong winded
Just trying to help
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 08-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
drost
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I have a big element

bragger....
"It isn't a matter of being a beer snob. Some people think a steak from Ponderosa is a great dinner out (Budweiser). Others would rather have a filet at one of the better steakhouses (craft beer). " --Pronger750

Old 08-11-2007, 05:09 AM   #10
JoeRags
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
O one more thing I dont know how many gallons of water you plan on heating with a 1500 watt but its not enough to heat 10 gallons of water very fast you will need to go to a much bigger one. Mine is a 5500 watt 220 volt on a relay and a 1500 watt 220 volt also on a relay with a low level switch to protect it.
ya ya ya I know I am a bit loooong winded
Just trying to help
JJ

It will only be heating a few gallons of water... enough to submerge my HERMS coil which is in its own, isolated vessel. I plan on recirculating through this while keeping a standalone HLT

Quick Reply