Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Water Heated Mash Tun design

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Water Heated Mash Tun design

So I have been designing my system for quite a while now and am still kicking around creative ideas because it is fun to think about. Do you think a water heated mash tun would work?

Check out my sketch-up design:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...8f&prevstart=0

Basically, a keggle is held in an aluminum pot with wood blocks to separate it from the aluminum walls. The aluminum pot has an electric heating element in it that is temperature controlled. All I would do would be to set my desired mash temperature and let it go. I would also circulate the water in the jacket to maintain an even heat.

I don't think this would be a fast way to heat up water, so my plan was to heat my strike water in my HLT and drain it into my mash tun. Then add grains to preheated strike water. All the water jacket would do would be to maintain accurate mash temperature and possibly step mashing.

My question is, would the water be able to add enough energy to the keggle to do a step mash? I am not sure off the top of my head and don't feel like going to equations to figure it out. If you have an opinion chime in.

I am just not convinced that the recirculating mash systems are the best way to go. I may end up there anyway, but I am looking for alternatives first. This setup would not cost much more than a recirc setup and may be better because the wort would be seeing no temp fluctuation (macro or micro).

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

not sure if this attachment will show up...

nope didn't work, I really need a premium membership. Must convince my wife tonight, or soon anyway...

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The only flaw is the application of heat only to the perimeter of the mash. RIMS/HERMS works very well to keep the entire mash at an equal temp. Personally I think it's a waste of a nice big aluminum vessel. You'd be better off direct firing the mash tun and if getting a pump for RIMS/HERMS is a stumbling point, you can manually stir the mash when applying heat.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

I direct fire my mash now and it works well, but the temp does fluctuate about +/- 3 degrees during my mash. This is no big deal, I just like kicking ideas around. I also think this may be way overkill for a minimal return. Perhaps a good insulation jacket is what I need. That would probably be cheaper and do the same thing as the water.

Quick Reply