Water Filter for Chloramines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered campden tablets? Do you know how many campden tablets you could buy for $160?!? jk.

Without any personal experience, I would only say that the faucet looks like it would be pretty limiting on the flow rate. I know I get frustrated sometimes just by my normal kitchen faucet if I'm trying to collect 10+ gal of water. Do you have any flow rate info on this product?

check out www.waterfilters.net just ordered a whole house filter setup from here, 80$ shipped. I installed it right off my pressure tank, (i have a well) so it does the whole house minus the outside water spigots.

look into a KDF type filter. mine works sweet!

Have you considered campden tablets? Do you know how many campden tablets you could buy for $160?!? jk.

Without any personal experience, I would only say that the faucet looks like it would be pretty limiting on the flow rate. I know I get frustrated sometimes just by my normal kitchen faucet if I'm trying to collect 10+ gal of water. Do you have any flow rate info on this product?

I have been using campden tablets, but for ten gallon batches, collecting and treating all that water a day or two before brewing can be a hassle, and sometimes during a brew I need de-chloramined water on demand.

You are right, the flow rate wouldn't be great enough on the unit i linked to, also, I was more referencing the design of the unit i linked to than the price. I'm looking for an $80 or less solution. I am looking at something like I linked to in my previous response.

Do you need to treat water for a day with campden tablets? I thought it happened in 15 minutes.

I know that the old method of treating water was to boil it or let it sit out overnight. This would allow the clorine to escape the water.

But with Chlorimides, they do not escape with boiling or sitting exposed to the air.

See Beer Kings' response here:
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=21124

I was aware for the need to allow chlorine to dissipate overnight in an open vessel. I have been allowing the campden treatment to sit overnight because I didn;t know how long it took to work its magic or how long it took to dissipate to the point that it would not harm the yeast.

I was aware for the need to allow chlorine to dissipate overnight in an open vessel. I have been allowing the campden treatment to sit overnight because I didn;t know how long it took to work its magic or how long it took to dissipate to the point that it would not harm the yeast.

You can draw up your water, drop in the campden tablet, and immediately begin heating it to strike temp.

It needs a couple of minutes to bind the chloramines, and it'll boil off readily.

You can draw up your water, drop in the campden tablet, and immediately begin heating it to strike temp.

It needs a couple of minutes to bind the chloramines, and it'll boil off readily.

confirmed. Crush the tablet, drop it in, go.

Back