LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
hocus-pocus-by-focus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerbil
You are correct, the culligan filter is $15,

What is the lifespan of this filter that you are recommending? The only thing that I have been able to find about this filter is the usual "Amazon blurb" and it says 120 days, but nothing about how many gallons. The culligan filter is rated at 10,000 gallons. As I have already stated, for a home user that is brewing five gallon AG batches once a week, that will be about 20 years of use. Lets see. One $15 filter every 20 years, or 60 of your $10 filters in 20 years. Seems like I have already saved about $585.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think that culligan filter was a shower filter not a potable (drinking) water filter.

So compairing mgf. spec of a shower filter to a potable water filter is like compairing apples to oranges. At least as far as drinking water goes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yep

"Culligan WHR-140 in line filter. It is normally used in shower heads" according to the article.

I'd think the number of gallons a manufactor would rate suitable for showering and the number of gallons suitable for drinking would not be the same.

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-15-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #23
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, so some like this idea, some don't.
That is fine. It works for me, that is all I really care about at the moment.
The water tastes good, and it no longer has that slightly brown tint from
the rust in my water lines.

Now, my apologies to those that are interested in this thing, and wanted to see pictures and a price list.
I had to go hit the LHBS yesterday so I can brew up BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde this weekend, and
also had to rack my Screwball Kolsch to the secondary, and also brewed up my Outback Amber, so it was
a busy day. I will try to get things posted this weekend.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #24
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think it's a fine idea.

Some filtering is almost always better than no filtering.

I just wanted to point out to others that there may be cheaper and easier alternatives. And I wanted you and others to also understand that there's a difference in how filters are rated especially if they are designed for different things (drinking water vs shower water). Something the writer of the article and BYO magazine apparently don't know or failed to consider.

And how someone should go about testing the effectiveness of a filter.

Here's the thing a carbon filter will filter rust and sediment but it's designed to absorb chemicals such as chlorine. Pretty soon the rust and sediment will encapsulate the carbon filter particles and render them ineffective. A rust and sediment filter on the other hand is a membrane type filter designed to trap solid particles this type of filter can be backflushed a number of times without losing all of it's effectiveness.

Plus I'd hate for you or anybody reading this post to think they really could get 20 years out of a water filter. Or to drink the water out of a filter that old.

I my younger days I had a class 2 water treatment lic. So I have some idea of what I talking about with regard to water treatment. And I wanted to share that knowledge with others. Just like you wanted to share your experince of building the water filter with others.

Last edited by abracadabra; 12-15-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #25
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So....if we're to look up getting the back issues....which issue was it that this filter was published in?

Quick Reply