Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > water bottle vs better bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
maltbarleyhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default water bottle vs better bottle?

whats the difference if any?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
wh4tig0t
Recipes 

usually the type of plastic. Better bottles have a 1 on the bottom (PETE) most water bottles I see have a 7 (other). AFIK 1's &2's are the only suitable for fermentation. I do have a local company that uses 1's, but everything I've seen at Wally world and Lowes is a 7.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Type of plastic - Brewers want #1 or #2 type plastics ... water bottlers are usually #7 and are not good for alcohol or fuels like a #1 or #2.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireNightFly View Post
Type of plastic - Brewers want #1 or #2 type plastics ... water bottlers are usually #7 and are not good for alcohol or fuels like a #1 or #2.
I guess many will argue but will 4-6% alcohol really matter? I mean yeah, if you store gasoline or something strong like that you are going to have issues. And even then by the time it is at that level you are ready to remove it, unless maybe you are doing a Brett. Better to be safe than sorry I guess but I really wonder about the intention of that warning. I can't see beer being all that corrosive to be really worried.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Better bottles are not JUST PET. They are PET that is free from alot of the chemicals that are in most other PET bottles. www.better-bottle.com . Well worth it IMO.

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaton View Post
Better bottles are not JUST PET. They are PET that is free from alot of the chemicals that are in most other PET bottles. www.better-bottle.com . Well worth it IMO.
Marketing at its best there are only two ingredients in PET .So which one did the makers of the better Bottle leave out? If you add other things it is no longer #1 PET.

"PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, a plastic resin and a form of polyester. Polyethylene terephthalate is a polymer that is formed by combining two monomers: modified ethylene glycol and purified terephthalic acid"

Sam's carries Monadnick spring water that is in #1 PET but they are only 4 gallons I have a few I use for Apfelwein.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Marketing at its best there are only two ingredients in PET .So which one did the makers of the better Bottle leave out? If you add other things it is no longer #1 PET
Some people seem to think that they're adding all sorts of crazy hazardous chemicals to water bottles, that are used for food, and contain a solvent.

The issue with water bottles is that some of them are oxygen permeable.

As to #7, all that means is "Other", which means it could be PET, and it could be a mixture of something else, but you don't know.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaton View Post
So they add chemicals to water bottles that would be harmful if digested?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
springer

Recipes 

I understand that some are o2 permeable but if you use a #1 PET bottle whether its a BB or a generic water container they are the same.

So to the OP if you run across a #1 or #2 water bottle use it . I wouldn't use any of the other plastics.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 09-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
So they add chemicals to water bottles that would be harmful if digested?

Its that some plastic water bottles are #7 which can have any # of different plastics in it. There has been some concern with polycarbonate plastic leaching Bisphenol A which has been linked to some serious health issues polycarbonate is used for water and baby bottles .I believe Canada has either banned it or is going to.

Quick Reply