Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > water bottle as secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Movinfr8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default water bottle as secondary

Ok, Im sure its been posted, but can I use a grocery store water bottle as a secondary? they look a lot like better bottles, and more convienent to pick up.
I searched, but found nothing...
Norm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27398&highlight=culligan+bottle

Old 07-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Ridge Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The number your looking for on the bottom of the bottle in the triangle is 1 PETE. I scored 2 of them last month from the Alpine Valley water guy for $7 each. Anything above 2 PETE you don't want due to Oxygen transmissibility problems. Good luck! RR

Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's my $0.02

Try as you might I don't think you'll find anyone saying they used plastic bottle number X,Y or Z and it screwed their beer up. There are too many other factors that can contribute to bad beer. Even if they say it was the bottle I would suspect other factors such as the cleanliness, hot side aeration,ect.

There's lots of advise not to use this, that or the other, but little if any of it is from personnal experience. It's mostly all hearsay, to me that is a big red flag. Personnal experience is one thing personnal opinion is quite another.

For long term storage as a secondary I don't think you can beat a corny keg. Pretty much everything else has a down side of one form or another. IMHO use whatever you can afford and upgrade as your budget allows. Then you pass your old equipment on to others that are interested in the hobby.

Last edited by abracadabra; 07-09-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I haven't really seen a case where anyone's really TESTED these water bottles for real, such as a side-by-side comparison with a different type of fermenter with a split batch.

Personally, I chose to ignore the warnings because I didn't see any real evidence based on personal experience, only a few references to some oxygen permeability figures for different plastics that really didn't mean much to me without knowing how permeable it would have to be before it really starts affecting your beer. I've been using a regular blue plastic 5 gallon water jug as a secondary carboy for a while now, and I don't feel that any of the beers that have been in it have suffered. That's not to say that I think the people giving the warnings are wrong, and I'm not entirely convinced that these bottles are a great choice for fermenting, I just haven't yet seen any problems with them based on my own use.

I would still use something else if I was planning to age something for longer though - I may not be too paranoid with batches that ferment for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to push my luck as much on a batch that I patiently waited a few months for.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandude
I haven't really seen a case where anyone's really TESTED these water bottles for real, such as a side-by-side comparison with a different type of fermenter with a split batch.

Personally, I chose to ignore the warnings because I didn't see any real evidence based on personal experience, only a few references to some oxygen permeability figures for different plastics that really didn't mean much to me without knowing how permeable it would have to be before it really starts affecting your beer. I've been using a regular blue plastic 5 gallon water jug as a secondary carboy for a while now, and I don't feel that any of the beers that have been in it have suffered. That's not to say that I think the people giving the warnings are wrong, and I'm not entirely convinced that these bottles are a great choice for fermenting, I just haven't yet seen any problems with them based on my own use.

I would still use something else if I was planning to age something for longer though - I may not be too paranoid with batches that ferment for a few weeks, but I wouldn't want to push my luck as much on a batch that I patiently waited a few months for.
IMHO that's right on the money the only thing I could add would be for long term storage without a corny move it to bottles after a week in the secondary.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
There's lots of advise not to use this, that or the other, but little if any of it is from personnal experience. It's mostly all hearsay, to me that is a big red flag. Personnal experience is one thing personnal opinion is quite another.
I see what you're going for, but I am going to counterpoint with a somewhat over-the-top example.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14423

None of us but {allegedly} pshavet have used this sanitation method, but I'm
going to err on the side of my own personal opinion on this practice over any test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
For long term storage as a secondary I don't think you can beat a corny keg. Pretty much everything else has a down side of one form or another. IMHO use whatever you can afford and upgrade as your budget allows. Then you pass your old equipment on to others that are interested in the hobby
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
I see what you're going for, but I am going to counterpoint with a somewhat over-the-top example.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14423

None of us but {allegedly} pshavet have used this sanitation method, but I'm
going to err on the side of my own personal opinion on this practice over any test.

huh????

Quick Reply