Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Walmart brand Oxyclean - Wow!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #21
Whiskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

+1 for Oxy and hot water. Just soak it overnight and give it a wipe with a sponge and a rinse. For my better bottles, in lieu of the sponge I just use high pressure jets of water, they still come out spotless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Also... why do you have to rinse Oxyclean? Even Oxyclean Free?? I take it this is NOT like PBW?

What is the deal with this cleaner.
You have to rinse PBW as well, don't you? Whether you are flushing the system with StarSan or water, I would think that's still rinsing.

I've only used the Oxiclean free from SamClub (it's giant, like 10-12lb) and for a 6.5g carboy, I use maybe 1/8 of a scoop in warm water. I rinse the carboy afterwards, but it's more so to get rid of all of the gunk that's fallen off the sides.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
You have to rinse PBW as well, don't you? Whether you are flushing the system with StarSan or water, I would think that's still rinsing.

I've only used the Oxiclean free from SamClub (it's giant, like 10-12lb) and for a 6.5g carboy, I use maybe 1/8 of a scoop in warm water. I rinse the carboy afterwards, but it's more so to get rid of all of the gunk that's fallen off the sides.
I was referring to the guys saying that they rinse like three times with HOT water... I dont do anything NEAR that with PBW. I rinse with Star San... the rest of the convo. gives context to what I asked.....

Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #24
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

When you use the caustic cleaners an acid rinse will take the surface residue off after cleaning. Most all of the popular cleaning products use sodium carbonate as the caustic cleaning agent, some add a touch of sodium metasilicate as a wetting agent, and the powdered dishwasher compound adds phosphate and chlorine to the mix. All of the CIP systems I have worked with use a caustic cleaning agent followed with acid flush and water rinse for their cleanup.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
When you use the caustic cleaners an acid rinse will take the surface residue off after cleaning. Most all of the popular cleaning products use sodium carbonate as the caustic cleaning agent, some add a touch of sodium metasilicate as a wetting agent, and the powdered dishwasher compound adds phosphate and chlorine to the mix. All of the CIP systems I have worked with use a caustic cleaning agent followed with acid flush and water rinse for their cleanup.
So using Star San... an acid sanitizer... which is a no rinse sanitizer, would do this well? Rinse the caustic AND be the rinse (no rinse)? It has worked for me thus far, just checking to make sure I have not been like SUPER lucky

Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I have never had any issue getting caked on gunk off. Just two days ago I did an oxy soak on a 6 better bottle that was filled to 5 gallons and needed a blow off tube. The whole area for the last gallon had caked on gunk from sitting without contact with liquid for 3.5 weeks. Hot water 3 scoops of oxy clean (I used extra because the gunk was 1/8" thick) and 24 hours the bottle is crystal clear and odorless.

Andrew

Old 05-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that for me kladue. Sometimes too much thought goes into an idea.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I was referring to the guys saying that they rinse like three times with HOT water... I dont do anything NEAR that with PBW. I rinse with Star San... the rest of the convo. gives context to what I asked.....
Gotcha, it wasn't clear from the post. Well I will say that in my experience, you definitely do not need to rinse that much with OC. I've never used PBW but I know with Oxyclean, if you use too much it makes the water kind of slimy-feeling. I just checked mine, and I would say I use about 1/4 - 1/2 ounce per 7 gallons.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
Minky
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
Isn't rinsing with star san a bit spendy? Or do you just rinse once? Also, if I remember my chemistry correctly(and I may not, its been 25 yrs) caustic solutions are normaly basic and starsan is acidic. So by rinsing a base with an acid you neutralize or raise the ph making starsan ineffective as a sanitizer.
beerthirsty has a good point. Starsan depends on its acidity to work. I would think that a water rinse after using anything alkaline would definitely make sense before using the Starsan. Maybe a Starsan rinse to neutralize, and one to sanitize?

I used to use the PBW, and I noticed that it tended to leave a film on my glass yeast starter flask. I started using B-Brite due to the cost of PBW, and I don't get the film anymore. I didn't know about the acid rinse.

I think B-Brite is essentially the same as OxyClean.

Last edited by Minky; 05-24-2009 at 03:56 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #30
The Pol
Recipes 

Spent $4 on 4 pounds of Oxyclean today... so I will give it a whirl.

Quick Reply