Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wait... Vinyl Tubing is Bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
coldrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wait... Vinyl Tubing is Bad?

I just came across a thread on here where two ppl mentiones, as an aside, that moving beer through vinyl tubing more than a foot or two will impart off flavors?!?! I have not experienced this, to my knowledge. Any input on this? Why does every homebrew suppplier sell vinyl tubing, then?

...from the very shallows of my mind, for had their been any depth, this could all have been avoided

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Dr. Francois
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think most LHBS sell vinyl because it's CHEAP and food-safe. There aren't many other options at near that price.

Vinyl does pick up flavors. I have an acquaintance who makes vodka. He told me a story about how a distillery made two varieties: plain and prickly pear. The distillery mixed up the vinyl transfer tubes and ended up with customers complaining that the plain vodka tasted like the prickly pear.

I'm converting all of my tubing to silicone, but the stuff ain't cheap! You can, however, boil the snot out of it whenever you fear an infection.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply