Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Vissani Kegerator @ Home Depot - Thermostat question, fermentation chiller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Tankard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Vissani Kegerator @ Home Depot - Thermostat question, fermentation chiller?

So I ran across a nice looking kegerator at Home Depot yesterday. It's model #mckc49os from Vissani. I can not find any information online about Vissani kegerators, which kind of worries me.

It would be $399 on my Home Depot credit card. I was originally planning to build the "Son of a Fermenation Chiller", but I was wondering if I could do better with this kegerator.

Basically, I would put the carboy in the kegerator while it is fermenting to control the temperature. After fermentation is complete, I would fill up a corny keg and use it as a kegerator. I've been looking for a way to ditch bottling and this seems like the way to go.

I had a few questions. I looked in the manual at the store and it controls the temp between 36 and 44 degrees. This is obviously too cold to use as a fermentation chiller. Is there a recommended thermostat that will work between 36 and 74 degrees? This seems like a perfect range for both fermentation chiller purposes and kegerator purposes.

Has anyone heard of these kegerators, and is it hard to bypass the thermostat? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Johson control just like whats used on a chest freezer would work. Just set the themostat in the kegerator to 36 and then set the control to the desired temp for fermentation.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Tankard
Recipes 

I would still have to bypass though, wouldn't I? Is there somewhere online where I can read up on how to do this? It would be an expensive mistake if I screwed up.

Could I buy those johnson controllers at Home Depot or do I have to order them online from a homebrew business?

Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
I would still have to bypass though, wouldn't I? .
Not at all , all you do is set the thermostat to 36 and put the probe from the control in the kegerator. Power cord from kegerator gets plugged into the controler and the controler just cuts the juice when it hits the temp desired. Its very simple . It will never go below 36* but would good at higher temps like say 60 to 65* to ferment an Ale for example
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
Could I buy those johnson controllers at Home Depot or do I have to order them online from a homebrew business?
you can buy them online

like http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111...ired-p-87.html

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reason: more info

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Seems to me that you could get a Sanyo with a 2 tap tower to serve, and a used fridge off of craigslist or ebay for about the same price (excluding co2 gear). If you went that route you could ferment and cold store while you have beer on tap.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Tankard
Recipes 

Only problem with the used fridge idea is that I would have no room to store it. I need something small and compact and this particular kegerator looks like it would work well.

That's great news about the Johnson controller, I didn't even know they had anything like that.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
19Sooner81
Recipes 

Default Vassani Kegerator from Home Depot.

It will work at a warmer temp. I bought one to hold a keg. Guess what it will not cool below 45 degrees. This thing is a piece of junk and this is the second one in less than a week.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is it advertized to go to a lower temp, 19Sooner81? 45 degrees is an excellent temp to serve beer at, at least for me.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Tankard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Sooner81 View Post
It will work at a warmer temp. I bought one to hold a keg. Guess what it will not cool below 45 degrees. This thing is a piece of junk and this is the second one in less than a week.
Well, that's a disappointment. It is advertised to go to about 36 on the coldest setting. 45 is not IDEAL serving temp for me, but I can deal with it. It will double as a fermentation chamber anyway.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Tankard
Recipes 

Well I attached a "Fermometer" strip to my corny keg and left it in the keg fridge overnight at the coldest setting.... Unless there's something I'm missing, it's too cold to even register on the fermometer, so it's under 36 degrees. When I raised the thermostat to 5 (6 begin the coldest) it was at about 37-38 degrees.

I placed the fermometer directly on the side of the corny... any problem doing this? Would this give me an accurate temperature reading... being on the cold steel?

I would imagine it's OK, fermometers go on the sides of glass carboys all the time with no problem.

I can try putting the strip somewhere else in the fridge if I had to, any recommendations?

The corny keg was REALLY cold to the touch.... that's a good sign though!

Quick Reply