Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Vissani Kegerator on Clearance at Home Depot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Vissani Kegerator on Clearance at Home Depot

I wanted a kegerator that would fit three 5-gallon cornies, but I stopped by Home Depot and found the Vissani MCKC490S priced at $112. This is certainly not the highest quality unit, and it only fits two cornies, but for that price I really could not pass it up. It comes with a 5lb CO2 tank w/holster, single-gauge regulator w/ shut-off valve, 1-faucet tower connected to a sankey tap with beer line, gas line already connected to the sankey tap, faucet wrench, rail, and drip tray. It also carries a one year warranty on parts and labor, with a five year warranty on the compressor.

If you search the web, you will find that you may have to adjust the thermostat screw to get it cold enough. It would also benefit from a fan to cool the tower.

I am probably going to sell the tower, faucet, beer and gas line, and sankey tap, and get a two-faucet tower with Perlicks. The tower is black plastic. If anyone is interested in the tower, etc., let me know.

You would be hard-pressed to find just the tank and regulator for much less than this. You can certainly build your own and end up with a higher quality unit, but not for this price.

I know they have one more at the HD in Middleton, MA. Just thought I would pass this on.

Happy Brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Definitely a good deal.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
adx

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

That's a great deal considering it's listed at $500 on their website. All you need is to drill the tower for a second tap and get a distributor for two gas lines.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adx View Post
That's a great deal considering it's listed at $500 on their website. All you need is to drill the tower for a second tap and get a distributor for two gas lines.
I might consider drilling the tower for two taps, but it will depend upon whether there is enough room in the tower. It is only about 2 3/4" in diameter, and it will be a very tight fit unless I have one tap lower than the other. For aesthetics, I would prefer not to do that. I also want to be able to get a tube up there to chill the tower. The other consideration will be whether it will be difficult to mount a larger diameter tower. The current tower just locks in the hole with some plastic stops. I assume that for a new tower I will need to reinforce and screw it in, although I have read that someone has just used 10x1 wood screws into the plastic. Any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have this unit. I got it for $250. Still a good deal. I drilled small holes and bolted my two tap tower to it. Worked like a charm. I also did the thermostat tinkering, now it stays at 36-38 no problem.
I have had it for about 3 months and am happy with it overall!

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, mine got down to 32F in the front corner overnight, so it looks like I will not need to adjust the thermostat range. It also came with a "Customer Service Manual" that describes the thermostat adjustment, in addition to the "Instruction Manual." Perhaps Magic Chef listened to some of the negative feedback and addressed it.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
JMG680
Recipes 

Wow, that is a great deal. Nice pick up.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I have the same one I picked it up for 150$ last summer I did put a chrome 2 tap tower on it . The one I have went right down to 35°empty but it does take a while to cool 5 gallons of beer from room temp. I keep it around 41°

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I have the same one I picked it up for 150$ last summer I did put a chrome 2 tap tower on it . The one I have went right down to 35°empty but it does take a while to cool 5 gallons of beer from room temp. I keep it around 41°
With the tower, did you just use wood screws to attach to the plastic, or did put bolts through and attach the nuts from inside the cabinet? If the latter, did you reinforce it with a piece of plywood or the like? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I took the twist adapter off the original tower made a plate for it to attach to the new larger tower and it goes in just like the original tower.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply