Vinager cleaned stainless brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
I boil on an electric stove and every week I get a burn ring that I have been scrubbing off with steel wool. Last night I poured a little water and maybe 2 oz. of vinager in my stainless steel brew pot and boiled it for a few minutes. The burn ring came right off and my pot looks brand new. :ban:

the vinegar is a great tip. However, regarding your previous method of steel wool... you shouldn't use that on stainless, you can scrub off the oxide layer and then it can rust - I've seen the aftereffects - a stainless stock pot with the bottom all rusted and nasty.

Scotch-brite pads (and similar) come in a "no-scratch" version (usually blue instead of green) that's made for things like stainless for that reason. I use one with the cleaning product "barkeeper's friend" (which costs about 3 cents a metric ton) on stainless and it's absolutely amazing. A very quick scrub and it looks totally new again. Not quite as low-effort as dumping in some vinegar and boiling, but it's usable in more situations.

Actually, steel wool used on stainless embeds small particals of plain steel into the stainless. That's what you actually see rusting. If you have to scrub, use a stainless scouring pad.

oven cleaner will take off crud too. just be careful cuz its caustic (wear gloves, use some ventilation)

Thanks for the tip, I use an electric stove and have that nasty brown stain. Also my water is VERY hard and I was having trouble removing the white crud. I'll definitely give it a try when I get home.

Back